[Nfbc-info] September Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 3 21:12:22 UTC 2015

2014 NFB Logo CMYK Rect

Mary Willows, President

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

(925) 895-2778

mwillows at sbcglobal.net

September 2015 Bulletin

Dear Fellow Federationists,

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back."

The National Federation of the Blind of California
IS
Uniting Blind People
THROUGH
Love, Hope and Determination to live the life we want.

The National Federation of the Blind of California is a membership
organization dedicated to improving the lives of blind and visually impaired
people through peer mentor and training opportunities. Sixteen chapters and
divisions meet throughout the year in the major metropolitan areas to
support and encourage individuals and their families who are experiencing
vision loss.  Once a year, we hold a statewide convention to educate blind
people and the public about services which will enhance their lives and
address social, educational, employment and training needs.

We are now accepting pre-registration forms for our 2015 State Convention
which will be held on October 30, 31 and November 1

Where: The Doubletree by Hilton Newark/Fremont
39900 Balentine Drive
Newark, CA 94560

For hotel reservations call: (510) 490-8390. Press 2 on the option  menu to
make your reservation with staff at the front desk.
Group code: NFC.
Note: You will need your hotel reservation confirmation number to complete
the pre-registration form.

Room rates: $109.00 + tax - without breakfast buffet
$129.00 +tax - with breakfast buffet for two guests

Some of the activities will include:

An Exhibit Hal l which will open Friday, October 30. Doors will open at
8:30A.M with coffee and muffins for an exhibitor showcase. The Board of
Directors meeting will begin at 10:00 A.M. followed by the Resolutions
Committee meeting.

The Orientation Center for the Blind Alumni Association Inc. will meet for
lunch at 12:00 noon ($20.00).

At the same time, the Louisiana Center for the Blind alum will also meet for
lunch. ($20)

In addition, the Colorado Center for the Blind alum will reunite for lunch.
($20.)

  Don't forget to bring your best Halloween costume for the Masquerade Ball
and contest at 8:00 P.M. on Friday evening.

On Saturday, October 31 the general session will begin promptly at 9:00 A.M.
The afternoon sessions will break out into "Round Table" discussion groups.
The highlight of our convention will be the banquet on Saturday evening
where we will   hear the keynote address from our national representative,
Pamela Allen, First Vice- P president, National Federation of the Blind and
the Director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind.

Sunday morning will wrap up the event with elections, resolutions and other
Federation traditions.

Please note: If you would like to take advantage of bus transportation to
the convention on Thursday, October 29 you will need to pre-register soon so
we can reserve the buses. You will need your hotel reservation confirmation
number to fill in your pre-registration form.

Southern California Departure Location, Los Angeles Greenline Park and Ride

11301 South Crenshaw Blvd.

Hawthorne, CA.

San Diego

Denny's 4365 University Ave.

San Diego CA.

Escondido: Casa Escondida Senior Building A,

75 North Broadway Ave.

Escondido, CA.

Northern California: exact location to be announced. The bus will originate
in Redding: stop in the Chico Area: Sacramento Amtrak Station: Stockton
Area.

Register now for the NFB of California 2015 convention
http://tinyurl.com/nfbcpreregistration

CABS GOT  TALENT

The California Association of Blind Students second annual talent contest
welcomes all musicians, poets' singers, comedians, and actors. If you are
blind or visually impaired and have a talent you would like to show off,
Upload a 1 to 3 minute video of yourself showing off. Send the link via
email to the Cabs got talent committee chair person Roselyn Perez
at::rp1rules at gmail.com <mailto:rp1rules at gmail.com>  Make sure you write cabs
got talent on the subject line

The Grand Prize winner will  receive  $50.00 and either perform at or have
their entry video shown during the Cabs board  meeting at the 2015 National
Federation of The Blind Convention. Deadline to enter is September 15

Scholarship's Scholarship's Scholarship's

If you are a college student who is legally blind, you may be eligible for
one of three scholarships for up to $2500.  Applicants must have a GPA.  of
3.0 or higher and carrying a full load of classes. For guidelines and a
application go to, www.sixdots.org  and click onto 2015 NFBC Scholarship
Guidelines & Application

The deadline for submitting your Application is midnight, September 25th,
2015.

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

925-462-8575

Thank you,