[Nfbc-info] San Diego Chapter volunteer highlights...

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Wed Sep 30 20:13:14 UTC 2015

Hello,

I thought that I'd share with you a pending  post to our FaceBook page. I
hope the post inspires other chapters to promote volunteerism. This simple
act is the gift that keeps giving. Simple acts of giving increases
self-worth, cultivates leadership and may even open up new career
possibilities.

A First-Time Experience for a Long-Time Chapter Member

Each month a couple of our chapter members join volunteers from Plymouth
Congregational Church's monthly meal ministry to very low-income and
homeless North Park neighbors. Last Saturday, long-time NFB member, Lyn
Gwizdak had a couple of first-time experiences.

NFB member, Gwizdak, expressed some reluctance to volunteer because of too
many encounters with others pushing him to the side and deciding what he was
unable to do. With   a bit of convincing he agreed to give it a go. Lyn had
an additional concern. That is, he doesn't spend much time in the kitchen.

To every challenge there's at least one solution. In this instance, lack of
cooking experience meant some simple instruction and encouragement from the
church's meal ministry Volunteer Coordinator, Josh and NFB member, Lisa. Lyn
made his first batch of delicious coleslaw!

Last Saturday evening's meal was southern-style pulled pork with a dollop of
coleslaw and a pickle to top off the sandwich. It goes without saying that
Lyn confidently spooned his slaw on to the plates of the dinner guests.

When Lyn was asked to share his thoughts about his first-time experiences
with the meal ministry he had this to say, Yeah, I enjoyed volunteering.
making the coleslaw wasn't so hard. and it tasted pretty good because I
really mixed the ingredients".

Lyn is learning more and more how to live the life he wants because he knows
that blindness is not what holds him back.

From,

Lisa Irving