[Nfbc-info] FW: [Nfbsf] Bay to Brakers

Tim Elder tim at timeldermusic.com
Fri Apr 22 20:21:03 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The San Francisco chapter of the NFB is again organizing a group to
participate in the world-famous Bay to Breakers foot race.  For those who
aren't aware, Bay to Breakers is one of San Francisco's premier events.
Participants dress up in creative costumes and run/walk a 12 km course
through the city.  For fun, some participants bind themselves together in
what is known as a "centipede," and dress up in a creative theme.  Examples
include runners with chairs strapped to their backs pretending to be a
roller coaster, runners holding cardboard cut-outs painted as a MUNI bus,
and other similar themes.

Please see below for details because we have only 13 spots at the discounted
price point.  First to pay will receive priority.

Last year, we built a harness contraption made of nimble plastic pipes and
hoses that allows a group of blind people to all move together in perfect
synchronicity through the race course.  It was a fun and informative example
of what blind people can do when we work together and apply a little bit of
ingenuity.  We received several press interviews about our group and,
notwithstanding the many other odd spectacles at the event, still received
much attention for our movement.  We also made cool t-shirts sporting our
centipede spirit.

Last year, we moved at a walking pace.  Some of the more competitive runners
declined to join the group because they preferred to run rather than walk.
Good news!  This year we are chopping our centipede in half.  One segment
will run and the other will walk.  We will all start together as one
centipede and the running segment will wait for the walking segment at the
finish line.

Here's what you need to know to join the centipede.

When: Sunday, May 15 starting at 8:00 AM. We will attend the finish line
festival after the race, but folks can leave any time after the walking
segment crosses the finish line.

Where: The starting line is at Main St. & Howard St., San Francisco, CA
94105 (a few blocks from The Embarcadero), and the finish line is at the
Ocean Beach Parking Lot, Great Highway [B/W JFK Dr. & Lincoln Way], San
Francisco, CA 94122.

Cost: $60(discounted from $65 plus tax and fees if registering as an
individual) (scholarships available for those who express need).  Your
packet includes the following benefits:
.Official Under Armour Runners' T
.Finisher Medal
.3-Month MapMyRun MVP Membership
.On-Course access to finish festival

How to Join: Bring $60 to the next San Francisco chapter meeting on Tuesday,
April 12 or PayPal the money to tim at timeldermusic.com.

We have only 13 spots in our centipede.  First to pay is first to claim a
spot.  All are free to join the group as an individual tag-along, but you
will need to register and pay for the more expensive individual runner
price.

In addition to your registration fee, I need the following from you.
birth date:
gender
preferred shirt size:
active email address:
phone number:
walking or running:
  The chapter will complete your registration and make arrangements for
picking up race packets.

The following individuals have committed to join the centipede thus far and
get priority if they provide the $60 to me at the next chapter meeting or
send it via PayPal.

Mike Nunez
Christina Daniels
Dobbie Vasquez

We anticipate spots will fill fast.  Don't delay.  Join today!