[Nfbc-info] A question about calling companies that use a dialin system

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Aug 2 00:20:13 UTC 2016

	hello.  I hate to be a party pooper on this technique, but times have
changed.  That is to say, the keys on your telephone keypad are no longer
just tone generators.  With the advent of digital voice transmission came
something called data compression.  Without getting into the very complex
details of how data compression works, suffice it to say, when you talk
into the phone, your voice is broken up into tiny data chunks, compressed
into something even tinier, sent over the line, and reassembled into
something that's supposed to sound like your voice at the far end.  In
order to make all this work, your keypad, rather than sending tones, sends
messages like: #3 is being pressed, #3 is being released, with time stamps
attached to each event so the system knows how long you held down the key.
The fact that you hear a tone when you press the key is merely a nod to the
fact that users expect to hear tones when they press keys, so the phone
plays them for you.  You might ask, if my phone isn't sending tones, what
do the folks at the other end of the line hear?  They hear tones.  That's
because the equipment that reassembles your voice at the far end of the
line, recognizes the messages your phone sent when you pressed the keys and
generates tones for the other end of the line.
	The tone generator David is talking about works fine on analog phones,
but won't work with cell phones.  If it does work, it's a happy accident
and I wouldn't count on it working.

-Brian