[Nfbc-info] FYI Fwd: [NCUEB] Braille Instructor Structured Discovery Program
mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Aug 22 15:10:11 UTC 2016
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edward Bell <ebell at pdrib.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 08:42:10 -0500
Subject: [NCUEB] Braille Instructor Structured Discovery Program
To: NCUEB List <ncueb at lists.nbpcb.org>, NOMC Mailing list <nomc at lists.nbpcb.org>
FYI, please note: NCUEB certification will be considered in place of NLS certification.
R-3385 Reference # 5229463
Posting Date: August 16, 2016
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Braille Instructor (260 Day Program)
Structured Discovery Program / Office of Field Services, Birmingham Regional Center
* Must have obtained a bachelor's degree in Vision Rehabilitation
Therapy or related field; certification in teaching of the visually impaired; or have documentation of at least one year of successful experience in teaching Braille.
* Must have successfully completed a Structured Discovery Program and
demonstrate knowledge of the Structured Discovery philosophy and means by which Braille instruction is integrated into core curriculum components.
* Must know how to read the Braille code and how to write Braille
using a slate and stylus.
* Must demonstrate competency in Braille by scoring 90% on the AIDB
Braille Skills Assessment within the first 120 days of employment.
* Must obtain the Library of Congress National Library Service in
Unified English Braille Transcriber Certification within twelve (12) months of employment date.
* Must have a demonstrated good past attendance record.
* Must illustrate the ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with staff; consumers and their families; program graduates; peer Braille instructors; advisory groups; and agencies such as the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services along with contemporary Structured Discovery Programs.
* Must demonstrate maturity, self-motivation and the ability to
exercise sound judgment.
* Must illustrate outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal
* Must either possess or develop an understanding of cultures and
needs of persons who are deaf, blind or deafblind, ensuring all actions and decisions demonstrate a respect for and value of persons with sensory loss.
* Must be computer literate and skilled in using Microsoft Office
* The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history
background information check including, but not limited to, FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and appear for scheduled fingerprinting appointment.
* Conduct Braille student pre/post assessments, focusing on the
Structured Discovery student's long/short-term needs grounded in nonvisual techniques; cognitive problem solving; and concerted strategies for clarifying attitudes and raising expectations surrounding blindness.
* Based on said assessment and continued evaluation, provide
individualized Braille instruction and consultation for Structured Discovery Program participants.
* Prepare lesson plans inclusive of sequential and meaningful
instruction geared to the student's assessed needs; Individualized Employment Plan and/or Personal Futures Plan; functioning and motivational levels.
* Prepare and use equipment and materials for the development of
Braille skills, following the Structured Discovery curricula and philosophy.
* Integrate other Structured Discovery curricula core components
(Orientation & Mobility, Assistive Technology, Independent Living, Residential Living, etc.) into lessons and Braille tasks.
* Participate in cross-training in other Structured Discovery
curricula core components (Orientation & Mobility, Assistive Technology, Independent Living, Residential Living).
* Document Structured Discovery participant attendance and progress
daily in written reports.
* Manage an orderly classroom conducive to learning.
* Use Gentry Referral Information Net (GRIN), maintaining student
progress and monthly reports.
* Provide in-service to AIDB and Structured Discovery staff as needed.
* Participate in Structured Discovery Strategic Planning to provide a
continuum of services aligning with AIDB's efforts to design innovative instructional programs to meet the unique and changing education and rehabilitation needs of students, consumers and families.
* Educate through marketing/public relations to enhance/expand
* Participate in departmental, inner-agency and campus-wide
faculty/committee meetings, state/national meetings, workshops, presentations, conferences and consumer groups, sharing information and best practice methodology to internal/external audiences.
* Review/update the Structured Discovery curriculum as necessary.
* Demonstrate professionalism in behavior and dress that serves as a
role model, setting a good example for Structured Discovery participants and aligning with the AIDB culture.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $32,898 - $48,054 Scale MR Rank 5A (HS and Structured Discovery Program Completion)
$35,404 - $53,696 Scale MR Rank 5B (BS- Class B
$37,082 - $56,201 Scale MR Rank 5M (MS- Class A
Direct deposit is required.
This is an exempt position, and is not subject to overtime and/or compensatory time provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: R-3385 Braille Instructoe Structured Discovery Birmingham 8 16docx.docx
Size: 58185 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the NFBC-Info