[Nfbc-info] Job Opening, Senior Director Operations, San Francisco Lighthouse

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Jan 6 06:20:07 UTC 2016

                                                         JOB DESCRIPTION

POSITION:            Senior Director –Operations

REPORTS TO:        Executive Director / Chief Executive Officer

STATUS:                    Exempt

JOB PURPOSE:

The LightHouse for the Blind is looking for a dynamic and innovative Senior
Director of Operations (SDO) to help lead our agency into a period of growth
and expanded capabilities.  With 90 employees and an annual budget of $12.5
million, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the
lives of the 40,000 blind residents of the greater bay area and beyond.  One
of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, we’re poised to
begin operations in 2016 in our brand-new state-of-the-art  headquarters on
Market Street, where we’ll   coordinate volunteers, big tech, teachers,
families, students and a caring staff together to design and build new ways
to help people with visual impairments.

The Senior Director, Operations (SDO) is responsible for leadership of all
the non-teaching operations of LightHouse for the Blind and Visually
Impaired.  The SDO will be part of the LightHouse’s senior management team
and report directly to the CEO.

The SDO will have operational responsibility for numerous LightHouse offices
and facilities.  In addition to our flagship 40,000 square-foot headquarters
in San Francisco, the LightHouse operates satellite locations in Berkeley,
San Rafael, Eureka, as well as a light manufacturing facility in San Leandro
and a 311-acre camp near Napa.

The SDO will supervise LightHouse directors in areas of Human Resources,
Facilities, Finance, IT and operations of LightHouse Industries.  He/she
will lead these departments in budgeting, forecasts, contracts and
operational planning.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Education or equivalent:  A college degree in Organizational Development,
Accounting, Law, Business Administration, or a related field is preferred.

Experience:  A minimum of five years top-level management experience in
business development; operations; contract negotiation and management;
strategic planning or a background in multi-location oversight.  Experience
working with federal entities, product development and contracts is
desirable.

·         As the LightHouse has a robust physical infrastructure, experience
with the needs of construction, bidding and maintenance is particularly
desirable.

·         Though the SDO will be tasked with primary responsibility for
LightHouse business operations, we’re looking for a candidate with a strong
interest in building warm philanthropic relationships both inside and
outside the LightHouse.  Non-profit administrative experience, especially in
the area of blindness services, would also be a plus.

Other:  Ability to supervise a disciplined business operation while ensuring
that the human needs of staff and students are met with compassion and
sensitivity.

PHYSICAL DEMANDS:

Able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods
of time; operate standard office equipment; move 20lbs independently; travel
independently.

ACCOUNTABILITIES:

*	Works with LightHouse business developer and employment units to
maximize job creation for blind workers.
*	Researches, initiates and supervises revenue-generating enterprises
for the Agency.
*	Fosters and maintains productive relationships with potential
partners in business, government and the nonprofit sector.
*	Represents the Executive Director / CEO in a professional capacity
as required.
*	Oversees all government and private contracts as related to required
financial reporting.
*	With the Director of Finance, meets quarterly with managers on
departmental budgets and facilitates real-time planning based on actual
income and expenses.
*	Assists  managerial staff in developing departmental business plans
*	With the Executive Director and Director of Finance, reviews Agency
expenditures as part of LightHouse written internal controls and budgeting
process.
*	Prepares regular written reports to the Board of Directors on
operations, business development, capital expenditures and facilities.
*	Attends and presents at board meetings as required.
*	Oversees major purchasing, capital expenditures, major maintenance
and   asset management.
*	At the direction of the CEO Oversees and completes special projects
*	Some overnight travel may be required.

SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:

The SDO will supervise LightHouse directors in the areas of Human Resources,
Facilities, Finance, IT and the staff and operations of LightHouse
Industries.

WORKING CONDITIONS:

Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin,
ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political
affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. We have an "employment at will"
policy.

TO APPLY:

Please submit cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please),
to hr at lighthouse-sf.org; include job title in the subject line. We will not
consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we
will only respond to complete submissions in which we have a serious
interest; thanks.

David Andrews and Long White Cane Harry

dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org

Twitter:  @dandrews920