[Nfbc-info] Youth Organizer Job Description
Stacy.Cervenka at dor.ca.gov
Mon May 2 18:31:52 UTC 2016
This looks like a cool position! YO! Disabled and Proud is made up of energetic people who do some innovative work. I like the fact that many of its most committed volunteers are youth with significant disabilities that often aren't heard from much in VR circles.
(Please note, I am NOT the contact for this position and cannot answer any questions. Please see contact info within the job announcement.)
California State Rehabilitation Council
721 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 558-5595
Email: stacy.cervenka at dor.ca.gov<mailto:stacy.cervenka at dor.ca.gov>
CFILC's Youth Organizing Disabled & Proud program is hiring a Youth Organizer. Please feel share the attached job announcement with qualified candidates. The job announcement is also below.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
YO! Disabled and Proud is CFILC's statewide youth with disabilities volunteer community organizing project focused on Connecting, Educating and Organizing youth with disabilities aged 16-28. We achieve this through the development of statewide and regional Youth Advocacy Summits, volunteer service corps placements, peer-to-peer support and community organizing campaigns.
YO! connects youth statewide through a variety of listservs, social media, teleconferences and webinars, we also maintain an Information and Referral YO! staffed by youth with disabilities. YO! is focused on developing leadership through volunteerism, organizing to take collective action regarding issues that impact the lives of youth with disabilities, providing education and volunteer opportunities that lead to positive disability identity, personal action planning and larger social change.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION:
Under the direction of the Deputy Director, this position is responsible for connecting youth with disabilities statewide through our Youth Organizing Disabled and Proud (YO!) project to identify priorities that impact the lives of youth with disabilities. The Youth Organizer will engage youth to develop strategies, host meetings and events to provide opportunities for leadership development, community organizing, volunteerism, self-advocacy skill building and other opportunities that may lead to independence, higher-education or employment.
The Youth Organizer is responsible for Volunteer recruitment, placement and support of YO! Corps volunteers and supporting the YO! Advisory Council. The Youth Organizer works in collaboration with the Disability Organizing Network to work with adults with disabilities. The Youth Organizer will work in collaboration with Ability Tools program to promote the Assistive Technologies that may be used for independent living, education and employment.
* Lead the development of the Youth Organizing! Disabled & Proud program.
* Organize youth with disabilities across California around issues that impact their lives.
* Organize youth led and youth driven activities, such as summits, community forums, trainings and leadership events.
* Assist in the organizing of the Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (YLF).
* Recruit and connect YO! Volunteer Corps members with initial volunteer site match and support youth and onsite supervisor throughout volunteer commitment.
* Work with YO! Corps volunteers to develop and meet their goals for personal action plan, and volunteer work plan.
* Provide Information and referrals via the YO! free phone line.
* Collect data from YO! Corps Volunteers and I&R line, and process monthly report of YO! activities.
* Assist in keeping website and social media platforms up-to-date.
* Organize and track community organizing campaign goals and activities.
* Motivate and mobilize youth to activities and events.
* Provide technical assistance to ILCs, youth organizations, disability organizations and educators.
* Provide public presentations at meetings, conferences, summits and schools. Table at events about YO! and CFILC programs.
* Schedule and facilitate teleconference and/or webinar meetings.
* Work in collaboration with the Disability Organizing Network around common organizing issues.
* Work in collaboration with the Ability Tools program to promote Assistive Technology to youth with disabilities.
* Other duties as assigned.
* A minimum of a High School Diploma or General Educational Equivalent and at least one year experience in the disability community OR at least three years experience in disability and youth organizing.
* Computer experience including familiarity with Microsoft Office.
* Ability to proactively use social media platforms.
* Ability to read and interpret information from a wide variety of sources.
* Ability to communicate with youth and adults over the phone, through email, social media and in-person.
* Ability to define problems, collect and establish facts.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Ability to initiate projects and work with supervision.
* Ability to plan and provide information to youth about upcoming events and advocacy campaigns.
* Ability to motivate and mobilize youth.
* Ability to exercise initiative, and ingenuity.
* Ability to track information and write reports.
* Ability to operate in a computer-based office environment.
* Personal experience with a disability
* Experience working with youth with disabilities
* Familiarity with issues that impact youth with disabilities
* Participation in YO! Disabled & Proud activities
* Youth & young adults are encouraged to apply
This position's work hours are 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday and includes some evening and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to:
Email Address: jobs at cfilc.org<mailto:jobs at cfilc.org>
Subject Line Title: Youth Organizer
No phone calls or faxes will be accepted
CFILC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. CFILC provides reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Please notify us if you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Youth Organizer Job Description 04.22.16.doc
Size: 715264 bytes
Desc: Youth Organizer Job Description 04.22.16.doc
More information about the NFBC-Info