[Nfbc-info] including deaf-blind individuals at chapter meetings

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 15 20:57:53 UTC 2016

Yes, the microphone must be passed around.  An alternative is that the main
speaker repeats any questions which saves a little time.

I don't believe Medi-cal pays for the FM system.  DOR should if the person
is a client.  Personally, if the member feels that he cannot participate in
a meeting, wouldn't it be worth it to him to find funding somewhere?  Think
of all of the situations which this person is probably missing out on
information.  Good luck.

Btw, in case it might come up.  According to our constitution, our funds
raised cannot go to the benefit of any one person.  However, if the chapter
raised money to have an FM system available at chapter meetings that would
be OK.  Someone responsible and reliable would have to be in charge of it
between meetings  I believe they cost about $800.00.Again, it would be to
the benefit of the person to seek funding from some source.  Think of how it
must impact independent living.  Not being able to hear what is being said
in church, shopping, doctors office, business meetings, social events, etc.

The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.
You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)
3934 Kern Court
Pleasanton, CA 94588
925-462-8575

Thank you,