[Nfbc-info] Another request to send email, letters and make phone calls to senators by July 3 opposing AB 1705

Shannon Dillon shannonldillon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:56:52 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shannon Dillon <shannonldillon at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:54:42 -0700
Subject: Another request to send email, letters and make phone calls
to senators by July 3 opposing AB 1705

Good morning,

 The NFBCA and California Association of Guide Dog Users have been
 working on sun setting the California State Board of Guide Dogs for
 the Blind for a few years now.  In 2015, at our state convention, we
 passed a resolution to take steps to sunset the board. We made some
 significant progress lessening the jurisdiction of the board last
 year.  However, we have more work to do to sunset the board.

 The author of the bill is still convinced the Board needs to exist to
 protect blind consumers, even though the Board does not protect blind
 consumers, and NFBCA, CCB, and Guide Dogs for the Blind oppose the
Board. Help get the word out that the Board is not
 protecting consumers, it places hurdles between users and their
 schools, and we want the Board to sunset.

 Previously we sent letters to Assembly members. Now our fight has
 moved to the Senate so I’m asking for everyone to send letters and
 make calls to senators on the Senate Business, professions, and
 Economic Development Committee. Please send them by July 3. You can
 send one letter. Address it to the Chair of the Committee, Jerry Hill
 and CC everyone else.

 You can also email the letter to Chief Consultant Bill Gage and
 Consultant Elissa Silva who are consultants to the Senate Business,
 Professions and Economic Development Committee.

 A sample letter is attached.

 If you would like help signing and getting your letter outyou can give
 me a call or send me an email  by June
 30 so I have the weekend to work on it with a reader.

 For those who can't attend hearings, please write letters, emails and make
 phone calls. The next hearing will be held on July 10 in Sacramento at
 the State Capitol.

 For more information, please see the attached sample letter
 which can also be used for talking points. You may also call me at
 415-218-5862.

 Here is the contact information for Senators on the Business,
 Professions and Economic Development Committee, as well as Bill Gage
 and Elissa Silva.

 Members of the Senate Committee on Business, Professions and Economic
 Development

  Jerry Hill (chair)
  Capitol Office

  State Capitol, Room 5035