[NFBC-Info] In-State BELL Training

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:54:42 UTC 2020

Hello, Everyone!

On March 21 and 22, we will be holding an in-state training for those
who wish to volunteer for our BELL Academy this year. Training will be
located at The Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired in San
Francisco and will begin at noon on the 21st and will go until around
1 PM on the 22nd. Below is more information about the training from
Carla McQuillan. If you wish to attend, please contact Debbie Worstman
at debsphilly1 at gmail.com. The cost for overnight accomodations at the
Lighthouse is $75 per person.

Thank you, and all best,

Rachel

ABOUT THE TRAINING:

In the past few years, we have started conducting Bell Academy
Training in-state, instead of bringing one or two people to Baltimore.
Our reasoning is this:

 When someone comes out to train in-state, we are better able to:
 Cater to the individual needs of the affiliate
 Train many people than we could reasonably bring to Baltimore, at a
much lower cost
 We can involve more of the affiliate members in the planning and
execution of the Academy
 It adds another layer of support from National as your affiliate
moves toward your program dates.

 Who should come to training:
 Anyone who would like to help with any aspect of the BELL Academy.
There are behind the scenes projects and activities that must be done
prior to the start of the program, such as: planning field trips;
making lessons and classroom materials; making Braille flash cards;
raising funds and geting donations; scheduling volunteers; planning
and lining up guest speakers; communicating with parents; recruiting
students; planning meals and snacks, and more!

 Those who would like to work directly with the children during the
program are encouraged to participate in the training as well.  We
will be discussing: classroom management; lesson presentation; daily
schedules and routines; philosophy and advocacy; how to work with
children with carying skills; working under learning shades; and how
to manage groups of children.

 The more members who get involved wiht the program, the broader the
group of positive blind role models we present to our students!
Besides, it’s a lot of fun!  You will play games, make lessons, and be
able to act like a kid without judgement!