[NFBC-Info] nfb&Amazon:

Paul Howard pch2127 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:38:06 UTC 2020

--
Paul C. Howard

From: National Federation of the Blind <webmaster at nfb.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 2:00 PMSubject: Amazon Agrees to Make
Remote Customer Service Associate Roles Available to the Blind

National Federation of the Blind logo and tagline live the life you want

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Amazon Agrees to Make Remote Customer Service Associate Roles
Available to the BlindDiscrimination Lawsuit Brought by Blind Woman
Resolved
Detroit (July 16, 2020): Maryann Murad, a blind Michigan resident, and
the National Federation of the Blind, the nation’s oldest and largest
organization of blind Americans, have reached an agreement with
Amazon.com resolving the employment discrimination lawsuit they
brought in September of 2019. Without admitting liability or
wrongdoing, Amazon has agreed to implement accessible technology that
will allow blind people to work from home as Amazon customer service
representatives. Amazon will also offer Ms. Murad a work-at-home
customer service position upon her successful completion of the
application process and pay an undisclosed amount of money.

In 2017, Ms. Murad tried to apply for a virtual customer service (VCS)
position with Amazon, but the proprietary Amazon technology required
to perform the duties of the VCS role was inaccessible with Voiceover,
the Apple text-to-speech screen-reading software that Ms. Murad uses
to complete tasks on her computer. Amazon has created proprietary
technology that is now accessible.

“We are pleased to reach this agreement with Amazon and hope that it
is an important step in making the company a leader in
twenty-first-century employment for blind people,” said Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind.
“Accessible technology is a key to equal employment of the blind, and
this is even more true with remote employment on the rise during the
COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. Blind people can and must be a part of
existing and new work environments in order to live the lives we want,
and the National Federation of the Blind will continue to ensure that
blind Americans are connected and protected.”

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The
NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes and
dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
www.nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations