[NFBC-Info] Recommended Banquet speeches

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Wed Jul 29 06:00:53 UTC 2020

Hello All,

For the last several months I've been reading old NFB banquet speeches to pick ones for our leadership class.

Below is a list of some speeches I really liked, with links to the text and audio versions of the speeches.

I hope you'all enjoy,

Jim

Kennith Jernigan on history and how the NFB was changing in the 1990s.

The Federation at 50 (1990): History of how the NFB came to be, plus several stories
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/banque90.htm
audio	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/BSP-1990.mp3

Shifting Balances in the Blindness Field (1992): More NFB History and an outline of shifting of the NFB to working in partnership with blindness agencies.
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/addres92.htm
audio	http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/misc_2012/shifting_balances_in_the_blindness_field.mp3

The Day After Civil Rights (1997): More talk about how the NFB is partnering with blindness agencies
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/banque97.htm
audio	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/BSP-1997.mp3

Kennith Jernigan talking about blindness philosophy

The Nature of Independence: What does it truly mean to be an independent blind person
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/addres93.htm
audio	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/The_Nature_of_Independence.mp3

Blindness: Of Visions and Vultures (1976): A bedrock banquet speech, full of hope and motivation
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/banque76.htm
audio	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/BSP-1976.mp3

Blindness: Handicap or Characteristic? (1963): A good primer on the NFB's blindness philosophy.
text	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/blndnesh.htm
audio	https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/BSP-1963.mp3

all NFB banquet speeches, arranged chronologically and by the National President who delivered them.
https://www.nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/banquet-speeches