[NFBC-Info] john bates passes

mike at michaelhingson.com mike at michaelhingson.com
Fri Mar 13 03:33:14 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I have been asked to inform all of you of the passing of John Bates
yesterday evening. When I first joined the Orange County chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind of California in 1972, one of the first
people I met was a soft-spoken gentleman named John Bates. John lived and
worked in Orange County fairly close to UC Irvine where I was a new graduate
student in Physics. He immediately offered me his friendship, something that
has lasted to this day.

Two weeks ago John learned that he had cancer. The disease took him quickly
and so now he is with God. Deanna Bates, whom John married in 1988, asked me
to pass on the news of John's passing to all of you.

A service will take place sometime in the future once the Coronavirus
abates. Deanna does not want people to take the chance of contracting the
virus. So, when more information is available I will let you know. Let me
just say that John was a philosophically strong and true member of this
organization as long as I knew him. He will be missed by all who knew him
and his wisdom and gentle presence will be a great loss to all.

Rest in piece John.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.

"Speaking with Vision"

Michael Hingson, President

(415) 827-4084

info at michaelhingson.com

To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on
Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:

www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle