[NFBC-Info] Please Read:

Paul Howard pch2127 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 13:55:33 UTC 2020

--
Paul C. Howard

From: State-Affiliate-Leadership-List
<state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of
David Andrews via State-Affiliate-Leadership-List
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2020 10:53 AM
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Cc: David Andrews <dandrews920 at comcast.net>
Subject: 2020 Virtual Senior Retreat - Registration Closing September 30th

I have been asked to circulate this message to NFB leaders.

From: "Robert Leslie Newman" <robertleslienewman at gmail.com>
To: "David Andrews" <dandrews920 at comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020

Dear Affiliate President
RE: The NFB Seniors Division’s 2020 Virtual Senior Retreat

Please consider this training opportunity for yourself, and/or pass it
on to other seniors! Below find an informational flyer, followed by a
registration form, also find a registration form attached to this
message. This virtual training event will temporarily replace our
face-to-face retreat; blindness skills, philosophy, and information.
Registration closes September 30th!

Note: First, here are five easy ways of getting your completed
registration form to us:
#1 By Email attachment: After detaching the registration form from
this email, bring it into your word processor and fill it out; then
attach the completed form to an email; Send that email to-
nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
#2 By pasted into and email: After detaching the registration form
from this email, bring it into your word processor and fill it out;
Then select and copy all the text in the completed form, and paste it
into the body of an email; Send that email to-
nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
#3 If you do not like attachments, do this: Copy the registration text
below in this email and paste it into an empty document in your word
processor; Fill it out; Copy the completed form out of your document,
and paste it into the body of an email; Send it to-
nfbseniorsdivision at gmail.com
#4 By mailing a hard copy: Detach the form from this email; Print it;
Fill it out; Send it to the mailing address given below. If you are
paying your fee by check, put it with your registration form in the
same envelope.
#5 By visiting our website to pay the entrance fee by credit card, or PayPal.
http://seniors.nfb.org/2020Retreat.html

Finally, get everything to us no later than September 30th. If needing
assistance, call me: Robert Leslie Newman: 402-660-1743
Email: robertleslienewman at gmail.com
(I would happily take your information by phone.)

**

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT
2020 VIRTUAL SENIOR RETREAT
Sponsored by the NFB Seniors Division
October 18th-24th

This virtual retreat focuses on promoting a sense of wellbeing and
self-confidence despite living with newly acquired vision loss, and/or
lifelong blindness. Our collective experience has taught us, that
learning about blindness from competent blind people, while sharing
the camaraderie of fellow retreat members, strengthens personal growth
and guides seniors to advocate for themselves. Participants can look
forward to receiving training in basic skills in adaptive techniques,
development of new strategies for solving problems, an introduction to
valuable resources, all to be better able to determine for themselves,
what steps they can take to Live The Life They Want. We cannot
overstate the positive impact an individual will experience as a
member of a group of seniors, working together, sharing the
life-changing activities in a retreat of this nature; just ask one of
our recent graduates!
Come join us to explore the possibilities of taking control of your
life, and accepting vision loss by learning from a supportive, caring
group of successful blind Americans.

Cost of the retreat: $50.00 per participant. This covers the entire
week of training, and a list of valuable resources.

For any questions you may have, please contact Ruth Sager, President,
National Federation of the Blind Seniors Division.
Phone: 410-602-9030
Email: rsager78 at gmail.com

Much more information relating to blindness can be found on our
Seniors website: http://seniors.nfb.org

***
REGISTRATION FORM
LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT
2020 VIRTUAL SENIOR RETREAT
October 18th-24th

Provide us with the following information and submit it no later than
September 30th.
Name:
Email Address:
Preferred Phone Number:
Address, Street:
City:
State, Zip Code:

This event will take place on the Zoom platform. Have you had
experience with it? If so, how would you be entering the call: ___ By
land-line phone ___ By smart phone ___ By computer
Have you had any skills training in blindness techniques in the past?
Yes- No- Explain:
When did onset of blindness occur? Within the past year- Within the
past three years- More than five years- More than ten years- Longer-

Check the classes you are most interested in attending:
Cane Travel ___
Beginning Braille ___
Daily Living ___
Organizational Skills ___
Exploring Hobbies ___
Basic information on iPhone and IOS devices ___
Meaningful Discussions on Living With My Blindness ___

Our greatest gift to you during this training, is to teach you how to
think as a blind person needs to think. All your instructors are
competent blind people who use these skills on a daily basis, and have
been sharing this knowledge for years.

Note: It is highly recommended that you acquire a long, rigid white
cane, free from the National Federation of the Blind. to practice with
the instructors as you learn techniques for proper use, storage, and
traveling with a white cane. The proper length of your cane, when
standing it vertical at your front, it should extend up to your chin
but not higher than your nose. Canes should be ordered no later than
September 5th, in order that you receive it in time to participate in
this retreat. Please contact the National Federation of the Blind-
on-line at- https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program
or by phone at- 410-659-9314.

Also, if you checked (yes) to having an interest in learning beginning
Braille, you will receive a Braille booklet. Note: If you do not own a
slate and stylus, the long-time tool for writing braille, the NFB will
give you one, free! Here is the link to have one sent to you.
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-slate-and-stylus-program

The cost per attendee for this retreat is $50.00. It can be paid by
one of the following two methods:
(Note: please place an “X” alongside the option you have chosen; it
will help us to match up you and your money.)

#1___ by credit card or PayPal- Go to the registration page on our
website; here is the link to that page:
http://seniors.nfb.org/2020Retreat.html

#2___ By check and sent to our Treasurer:

Seniors Division
Duncan Larsen
Colorado Center for the Blind
2233 West Shepperd Ave.
Littleton, CO 80120.

The check should be made out to: NFB Seniors Division. In the memo
field, write- SENIORS RETREAT.

Note: Submitting a completed hard copy version of the registration
form can be Included with your payment being sent to the above
address.

Fees are nonrefundable; money will be considered a donation to the
Seniors Division. The registration fee must be received no later than
September 30th.

Should you have any questions, please contact Ruth Sager, President
NFB Seniors Division
Phone: 410-602-9030 or
Email: rsager78 at gmail.com

Note: Once your registration has been reviewed, the retreat team will
send you the information necessary for you to call into the classes
that you are scheduled for. We look forward to your participation in
our first-ever virtual Senior Retreat.

Respectfully yours,
Robert Leslie Newman
NFBN Senior Division, President
NFB Seniors Division, Second Vice President
NFBN Omaha Chapter, Secretary