[NFBC-Info] The Cricket Campaign: Comunication and Collaboration

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 22:35:13 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I am running for the board, and I would greatly appreciate your votes
on Sunday! If you’d like to talk further, my number is (805) 372-9550.
I would love to get to know you, and I don’t sleep much, so feel free
to call or text me any time. Here’s some insight into the personal
behind my plethora of emails.

I’m currently a graduate student in journalism at Stanford, where I
also did undergrad. During my tiny bit of free time, I enjoy reading,
singing, and listening to music. My playlist ranges from classical to
Broadway to some modern music to classic rock, which is what I grew up
on. Not a huge Bob Seger fan though. I love cooking, and am always
looking for good recipes. Send me a message if you want to talk food.

Within the NFB, I serve as president of the California student
division, where we have worked hard to bring you lots of events on a
range of subjects. I’ve been proud to work alongside my amazing board,
whose energy and resilience is truly refreshing. I also serve on the
scholarship and resolutions committees, and will be co MC of the
talent show tonight. There’s still time to buy tickets!

My main concerns this year are communication and collaboration. We
have not been hearing from our board as frequently as we should be. I
will start a regular newsletter with updates from the board and its
committees to fix this problem. The board is always looking for people
to get involved, but we can’t express interest in things that we don’t
know about, and we can’t hold our board accountable for upholding the
tenets of diversity and accessibility if we don’t know what they’re
doing. I’ve worked in marketing and social media for several years
now, and will bring my knowledge to the affiliate. We could get a lot
more interest through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube). We
haven’t been using those platforms most effectively, but I will do my
best to ensure that we do.

I would also like to see more cross-chapter collaboration. Our board
is made up of members from many chapters, but it often seems that
chapters don’t put on events together. There was a story several years
ago about someone who trained their guide dog to run a marathon with
them. How does guide dog life and athletics intertwine? I’m not sure,
but I think it would be cool for Sports & Rec and CAGDU to think about
it together and inform us. That’s just an example. Are there small
chapters decently close together? Why not have some regional events?
Let’s get a calendar of membership calls and activities going so that
people can broaden their horizons. Let's work together, because that's
when we're strongest.

I’m also a disability advocate outside the NFB. I have been fighting
for a disability community center at Stanford alongside others, and
after almost four and a half years, we’re just a few weeks away from
opening one. I’ve organized Stanford’s  first audio description
seminar, which will be in early November. All are welcome. Email for
details. I’m also on a task force that is reforming the disability
services programs here. This work will likely continue long after I
graduate. I taught a class on alternative cooking techniques to
sighted students one quarter, and am focusing every assignment on
disability justice, bringing a new dimension to Stanford’s journalism
program. I write editorials for the Stanford Daily, holding the
university accountable for its frequent and inexcusable ableism. A new
one will be coming out next week.

Like most of my emails, this one is far too long. I’ll end by asking
once more for your vote. It’s about time that we had another student
on the board! I love and respect everyone else who is running, and I’m
excited for the outcome of this election because I don’t think there
can be a bad one. Whether or not you vote for me, know that I care
deeply for your health and well-being. Even though convention can be
loads of fun, it’s also very draining, so be sure to get some rest
when you can. Want to talk? Send me an email or text.

Cheers,
Cricket

P.S. Join CABS tomorrow at 9:30! TinyURL.com/CXBZoomRoom

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022