[NFBC-Info] Guide dog access issue at retail store in San Diego

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 01:30:05 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I don't live in California but wanted to reach out here as I unfortunately
experienced an access issue while visiting San Diego with my guide dog. I
attempted to enter Golden State Greens, a state licensed marijuana
dispensary, but was told that service animals were only allowed at the pick
up counter. I had not purchased anything online and desired to enter the
main show room and browse the products like any other customer. I was
ultimately refused service after attempting to advocate for myself with
multiple employees. This is apparently a long-standing policy at this shop,
and they even have signage posted stating the policy. I have video evidence
of one of the employees defending her right to refuse me entry with my
service animal as completely legal.

I have already filed a complaint with the California Civil Rights
Department. Unfortunately, they have no intake appointments available until
April. Does anyone have suggestions of anything else I could be doing to
speed up the process to hold this business accountable for their egregious
ADA violation?

Thanks,
Mike