[NFBC-Info] Perspectives: The Newsletter of Stanford's Assistive Technology Course - From Idea to Market: Eatwell, Assistive Tableware for Persons with Cognitive Impairments (on campus)

David L Jaffe dljaffe at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 26 23:50:22 UTC 2022

View this newsletter in your browser<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/Newsletter/lecture04b-2022.html>
[Top banner]
Design, Technology , and Engineering benefitting individuals with disabilities and older adults in the local community
January 26, 2022
[2 columns of images relating to assistive technology]

Perspectives is the newsletter of the Stanford course,
Perspectives in Assistive Technology.

>From Idea to Market: Eatwell, Assistive Tableware for Persons with Cognitive Impairments (on campus)

This issue announces the next class session (on campus)
and solicits vendor participation in the course's Assistive Technology Faire.

Perspectives in Assistive Technology is a Winter Quarter Stanford course - now in its sixteenth year - that explores the design, development, and use of assistive technology that benefits people with disabilities and older adults. It consists of semi-weekly in-person discussions; lectures by notable professionals, clinicians, and assistive technology users; a tour of an accessible inclusive playground; student project presentations and demonstrations; and a Assistive Technology Faire.

Course News

[Clip art image of kids holding "Back to School" banner]

In-person, In-classroom Instruction Resumes - Community members are welcome to attend class sessions on campus in Lathrop Library Classroom 282<../accessibility.html>. Participants must attest to being vaccinated or receiving a negative COVID test result and wear a mask.

Next Class Session (on campus) - Thursday, January 27th at 4:00pm PST

[photo of Sha]

>From Idea to Market: Eatwell, Assistive Tableware for Persons with Cognitive Impairments
Sha Yao
Sha Design

Abstract: "Inspired by my late grandmother who had Alzheimer's Disease, I created Eatwell, a tableware set to help people with cognitive impairments increase their food intake. After years of research and development, the Eatwell set won first place in the 2014 Stanford Design Challenge in a competition with 52 other teams from 15 countries, and has continued to receive extremely positive feedback from caregivers from different states across the country, and even internationally. I will share my story about my efforts working on the project, the design process I used, the challenges I faced, my experience during the design competition, the latest update on my goal to bring Eatwell to market, and my future plans for the product."

Biosketch: Sha Yao describes herself as a passionate Industrial Designer who likes to challenge herself. She has a diverse background and speaks English, Mandarin Chinese, and Japanese. She created a product design studio to help startup companies develop their product ideas, and especially loves to work on projects that help people in need.

Upcoming Class Sessions

[Image of Zoom participants]

  *   Tuesday, February 1st - Issues of Human Interface Design<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/lecture05a.html>
  *   Thursday, February 3rd - Accessible Making: Designing Makerspaces for Accessibility<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/lecture05b.html> (by Zoom)
  *   Tuesday, February 8th - Mid-term Student Team Project Presentations<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/lecture06a.html>

Assistive Technology Faire

[clip art of a faire]

You are invited to participate as a vendor in the Assistive Technology Faire - This tenth annual course event is scheduled for Thursday, February 17th and will provide an opportunity for students and community members to get an up-close look at a variety of assistive technology devices and learn about available services. Users of assistive technology products as well as small companies and agencies serving individuals with disabilities and older adults are encouraged to join in on this event. Browse to the Call for Assistive Technology Faire Participants webpage<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/faire.html> for more information about the event and how to register. Please let me know if you prefer to participate as a vendor in-person on-campus or by Zoom.

Here is the line up<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/lecture07b.html> and slides<http://web.stanford.edu/class/engr110/Newsletter/Faire-2021.pdf> from last year's virtual Faire.

Please contact me with your ideas, questions, comments, and project suggestions - or just to say hello. Please continue to stay safe & healthy.

Dave Jaffe - Course Instructor

[5 rows of images of course presenters and community members]