[NFBC-Info] President's notebook, may 2022

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Mon May 2 03:59:28 UTC 2022

Dear all,

Welcome to May. students on semesters are in their final stretch… And
students on quarters, like me, are gradually working toward finals.
Either way, the weather should be moving toward summer. Except up here
in Palo Alto, where we’re alternating between rain and blistering
heat. I wonder what that’s all about.

May is National Asparagus month, according to a few online calendars.
I roast mine with olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and garlic.
I’m always looking for good recipes. Send me yours if you have
something you think I should try.

It’s also National Mental Health Awareness month. With all of the
struggles that we face, and those we hear about, it is more important
now than ever to take care of ourselves. Maybe that involves turning
off those news alerts, or temporarily distancing yourself from social
media, or cooking or taking walks.

Below are updates from some of our chapter presidents. Don’t see your
chapter listed? Let your chapter president know what you think should
be included. I have also attached this bulletin in word format,
although my email may be marked as spam. Sorry about that.

Best,
Cricket

In this issue:
Update from the president
Parents Division Financial Assistance to National Convention
Riverside/San Bernardino Popcorn Fundraiser
River City Fundraiser

Update From the President:

Hello, friends!
I can’t believe that it is already May and that convention is only two
months away! Speaking of convention, if you have not yet registered,
you can still do so at
nfb.org/convention.

Convention will be held in New Orleans from July 5 through July 12,
and there will even be a virtual element if you are unable to attend
in person. I hope that you will all take advantage of this opportunity
to participate in the largest annual gathering of blind people in the
nation.

During the month of April, several NFBCA board members and I have been
busy interviewing and writing letters for national scholarship
applicants from California. We have immensely enjoyed getting to know
many of our students in California, and we applaud them for the great
work they are doing to break down barriers and to change perceptions
about blindness in their chosen fields. Many of these students are
already leaders in the blind community, and I am excited to see how
their contributions will continue to help shape the future of this
organization.

We are busy negotiating hotel contracts for our state convention. I am
excited to announce the location for our 2022 state convention in the
coming weeks.  Stay tuned!

As always, I appreciate all the work of our chapters and divisions. As
many of us are able to move more toward in-person meetings, I hope
that we can find new opportunities to organize activities that will
build membership and bring us closer together. I look forward to
personally attending some of these meetings as I start to travel again
around the state.

Sincerely yours,
Tim Elder
President | National Federation of the Blind of California

Parents Division Financial Assistance to National Convention

Hello everyone,

I cannot believe that our national convention is right around the
corner. I wanted to let you all know that the California Parents of
Blind Children is offering a $300 stipend for anyone wishing to go to
national convention. We are asking for one paragraph submissions,
telling us why attending national convention is important to you.
Please send your submissions to veronica38martinez at gmail.com
Submissions must be received by May 15. The California Parents of
Blind Children board will review and contact the winner shortly
thereafter. See you all at the convention!

Riverside/San Bernardino Popcorn Fundraiser

The Riverside San Bernardino chapter is  hosting a Double Good Gourmet
Popcorn Fundraiser!!
When: May 1, 2022  4 PM to May 5, 2022 4 PM
Link: https://popup.doublegood.com/s/zfxc3838
If you have any questions contact Paulina Vazquez via phone or email.
Phone: (310)-988-5437
Email:  paulinav557 at gmail.com

River City Fundraiser

Angela's Awesome Jerky & The River City Chapter are joining forces for
a fundraiser. Purchase Angela's Awesome Jerky during the months of
April & May and a portion of the proceeds will go to the River City
Chapter. If you would like to place an order please fill out the form
below.
Jerky Flavors:
• Tantalizing Teriyaki: Tempt your taste buds with this tasty treat.
Sweet and ‘smoky and completely non-spicy, this one is a hit with kids
and adults alike.
• Dad's Bragging Rights: The result of a father-daughter cooking
competition in which father reigned supreme, it’s a perfect blend of
sweetness and spice, with a somewhat fruity base and a pepper kick.
• Ragin' Cajun: fasten your seatbelt and take a ride on the wild side,
this one's as spicy as it is flavorful.
• Tiffany's Best: a gluten free option with a sweet tropical taste
which will take you straight to Hawaii. Its low sodium, gluten free,
and will accommodate most diets.
Pricing:
6oz Bag - $10.00
By the Pound - $25.00
Shipping Cost - $8.00
Form URL:
https://ulwxastpyh.formstack.com/forms/jerky_fundraiser
Thank you for supporting the River City Chapter.  Enjoy your Jerky!

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022