[NFBC-Info] Convention Notebook

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 22:33:18 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I look forward to our conventions for so many reasons. Here are a few.

Firstly, the understanding. Every day, I’m a disability ambassador,
explaining to people why the disabled face certain issues, how those
issues affect me and others personally, how they can help, and why
they should care. This can occasionally be tiring. Conventions are a
refreshing break from that. We all get it, so we don’t have to be
ambassadors to each other for the most part. Imagine if the rest of
the world was like that.

And then, the small-scale. Our organization has done so much for me.
It has helped me gain self-confidence, has helped me understand how I
should be treated, has helped me break away from abusive situations.
Members have provided me with places to stay during my estrangement
from my first adopted family. People have called and patiently
listened as I vented my frustrations. They’ve provided advice, comfort
and caring, empathy, and so much fun and laughter. They’ve given me
resources, opportunities, and connections of all types. I’ve gained so
many friends and mentors, and I cherish them all though I don’t say
that often enough. If I can be that person for even one other, I will
feel more fulfilled.

Perhaps Most importantly, the advocacy. Our organization truly makes a
difference. We have the most power when we gather together. Convention
is where we plan future efforts. I want to be a part of that, to help
improve the lives of disabled people. I want to lend my voice to the
movement. Why do you go to convention?

We will gather, in-person and virtually, in just a few days. In the
meantime, here are a few updates.

Anyone going to convention must prove that they do not have Covid-19
by testing 24 hours before picking up their registration packet. Proof
of negative test results must be sent to covid at nfbcal.org.

I have attached a document explaining the procedure for testing our
virtual voting system. The board has been working hard to develop it,
and we need to test it before implementing next year. There are a few
things you can do to prepare, as outlined in the document. Whether
you’re in-person or virtual, please help us create a more equitable
experience by testing this system with us. We want to ensure that in
future years, members in good standing can vote regardless of physical
presence at convention. That's the last attachment.

The Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee is proposing a bundle of
amendments to our affiliate’s constitution. We are proposing the use
of gender-neutral language, an article about virtual voting and
access, and other miscellaneous things. It’s difficult to amend the
constitution because it requires a 2/3 majority vote of members
present, so we feel that it’s better to put forward a few things at
once. We feel that all of these changes are important. We will discuss
them at our meeting on Saturday, and you may reach out to us via email
beforehand. I am attaching the current constitution, a copy with our
amendments, and a summary of proposed changes.  The amended
constitution is the second attachment, the summary of changes is
third, and the current un-amended constitution is fourth. Most of them
are minor. The biggest of these changes is a new Article XVI, which
regards virtual voting and access. I pasted that into the summary of
changes so that you don't have to go through the whole constitution.
Though it is interesting, if you feel so inclined. We may make some
minor revisions, but we will preserve the integrity and intention of
the amendments as they are now written.

Below, an update from the inland empire chapter. Also attached, you’ll
find a copy of the agenda without Zoom links. It's the first
attachment. You will only have access to the Zoom links if you
register for convention, whether in-person or virtual. Please check
the convention page for other updates. Nfbcal.org/convention

Best,
Cricket

You cane Give

Have you ever thought about what life would be like if you did not
have your mobility cane? The 2022 NFB/C convention is just a few days
away. The NFB INLAND EMPIRE CHAPTER is working with the You Cane Give
Initiative to put canes in the hands of the blind in 3rd world
countries where canes are not available to them. We need your help so
that we can help others. We are asking people to donate their broken
or old canes. We are also asking for donations of new canes and tips
as well as tax deductible donations of money to help with the repair
and shipping of the canes so any help you can give will help in this
effort. If you can and would like to help, please do so by bringing
your old canes to convention with you. You can contact Michael
Richardson at (323) 898-3223 or Cheryl Thurston (909) 821-9589 to give
them your canes at convention. Everyone that donates will be put into
a door prize drawing that will take place during the banquet. The
grand Prize will be a custom cane valued at $150. If not attending
convention you can send your canes directly to You Cane Give at, To:
Mr. James Boehm  7303 Althorp Way  Nashville, TN 37211 (canes can be
sent via free matter for the blind). If you can make a monetary
donation you can go to http://youcanegive.org/ and click on the link
to donate. On the website you can see the amazing work they do and
hear from people whose lives have been changed. The Inland Empire
Chapter and the You Give Cane Initiative thanks you for what ever you
can do…

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022