[NFBC-Info] Virtual Voting Test at this year's convention

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 03:22:36 UTC 2022

Dear all,

The NFB of California is testing a virtual voting system at our state
convention this November 3-6, 2022. While we cannot offer virtual
voting functionality at the convention this year, we would like to
consider a system that would enable members to vote in the future
without requiring a physical presence at the in-person convention.  We
will be testing the system on simulated topics throughout the
convention general session agenda. The system we are testing collects
votes through  text messages or phone calls. Here are a few things to
know before the testing.

The phone number you use for voting must be the one that you
registered for convention with.  Only NFB of California members in
good standing, who are registered for convention, may vote.  This
means that if you're a member of a chapter or division, and are
registered for convention,  and are in good standing, you should be
eligible. The voting system checks the number that you text or call
from  against a list of eligible numbers. If you plan to participate
in the testing with a different  number, you should email Brian Buhrow
at  buhrow at nfbcal.org to let him know.

One thing that you might find helpful is adding the voting number to
your  contacts. We suggest using "NFBCal" as the first name, and
"Voting" as the last name.  The voting number is (650) 213-1338.

Make sure you're in a location with a good wi-fi and cellular
connection. This system relies on  text messaging and phone calls, so
there is no online form.

How to vote:
Each candidate or choice will be given a number. If you're asked to
choose between cake and pie  for example, cake would be the number 1
and pie would be the number 2. It's important to remember that the
system accepts only digits. You cannot spell the words  one or two in
letters, so you will not be able to use dictation. You have to write
the numbers in  digits. On an iPhone, you will need to find the
"numbers" icon on the bottom left  corner of the keyboard. The digits
will be on the top row of the keyboard, with 1 on the left and  0 on
the right.

Because the system accepts only digits, it will also reject any words.
In the above example,  if you write the word "cake", it will not be
accepted. You have to write 1 or 2. If there are  more than two
choices or candidates, you will have to write 3, 4, etc.

If you are calling into the system, call the same phone number. (650)
213-1338. You will be asked  to enter a number on the phone number
pad. If you're using a landline , this should be relatively easy. The
system will not work with a rotary phone. Remember that the number you
call or text from  has  to be registered with the system.

Regardless of the type of phone you are using, you will receive
confirmation messages. If you  text your vote to the phone number, you
will receive a reply within 1 minute telling you that your  vote has
been accepted. If you call, you will hear a message. If your vote is
not accepted,  you will also hear or receive a message. You can only
vote once, so if you try to vote  multiple times, you will be told
that only your first vote counted.

Remember to add (650) 213-1338 to your contacts as "NFBCal Voting".
Thanks, and happy voting!

Best,
Cricket

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022