[NFBC-Info] FW: Advocacy Opportunity to Ride in Autonomous Vehicle in San Francisco August 10

president at nfbcal.org president at nfbcal.org
Sat Aug 5 05:36:43 UTC 2023

Hello Federation family,

We have an opportunity to provide public comments urging the Public Utility Commission to provide Waymo and Cruise (the two leading autonomous driving providers) with a permit to operate commercial service in San Francisco. We must get these permits approved in San Francisco in order to get the service into more communities across California and the rest of the United States. For example, before these companies can scale out to Los Angeles, they need to show some business revenue and market share in San Francisco. We are counting on you to share your voice in support of that expansion.

You can help in one of three ways:

1.	Show up in person on the morning of August 10 at 11:00 a.m. in San Francisco to provide live in person comments.
2.	Dial in by phone to submit your comments.
3.	Submit written comments before August 10.

We have a group of commenters already collected who are planning to use one of the three options above. If you would like to add your name to my list of supporters, please send an email to president at nfbcal.org <mailto:president at nfbcal.org> , particularly if you have an interest in attending in person. Individuals attending with our group in person will have an opportunity to get off the beta wait list and ride in an autonomous vehicle if they haven’t already done so.

If you simply want to submit your own comments, all are free to do so through the following website:

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/events-and-meetings/cpuc-voting-meeting-2023-08-10

Date: Thursday, August 10, 2023

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Location: CPUC Auditorium, 505 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94102

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/events-and-meetings/cpuc-voting-meeting-2023-08-10

please arrive at least twenty minutes early for the meeting. Length of your remarks should be Short: 20-30 seconds

For those on the telephone, Please call in Thursday, August 10  at 11:00 a.m. using the phone number and passcode below.

 English Phone: 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 9899501#

 Spanish Phone: 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 3799627#

To make a public comment, unmute your phone, and press *1 (star one) when prompted by the operator. Once you press *1 you will be prompted to state your

name and/or organization, please do so slowly and clearly. The operator will call on you when it is your turn to speak. Wait times depend on the number

of speakers in the public comment queue. If there is a high call volume of people planning to give public comments, the wait time might be longer. Please

stay on the line and the operator will call on you when it is your turn to speak.

Each speaker will have about 30 seconds to speak. You can drop off the call after you give your public comment.

If you experience difficulty calling into the Public Comment line, please send an email to

VotingMeetingHelp at cpuc.ca.gov <mailto:VotingMeetingHelp at cpuc.ca.gov>

 or call (415) 703-1496

please try to call in fifteen  minutes early for the meeting.

Below you will find some ideas for possible live comments. Please customize the comments to fit your unique circumstances. Remember your short story helps

paint a clear picture.

Here is an example:

Hi my name is Pat Johnson, I’ve lived worked or visited in San Francisco for five years. I want to ride with Waymo or Cruise but cannot currently do so because of

the limitations on its operating hours and locations.  I’m eager to enjoy [insert personal reasons such as no service animal discrimination, lower cost

transportation or just part of the future]. I strongly believe the CPUC should approve Cruise and Waymo’s driverless deployment application so more people can benefit

from this service.

Outline of options to help you craft your public comment:

Hi my name is:_______________

in SF ____ years and live in the _______________ district/neighborhood

I have been riding with Cruise for X MONTHS/ a while now and __________________________ (insert personal benefit you’ve felt) .

Option 1 -

I am blind and I am not able to drive a car.  Being able to move freely around San Francisco is something I’ve needed to do for a long time, and I’ve been

waiting for the Waymo service for years.

Option 2 -

Waymo and Cruise’s AVs already operate much more safely than the human drivers around me.  I don’t want to have to wait any longer for this technology to be available

to me.

Please approve the resolutions as soon as possible so I can have the best quality of life possible.

Option 3 -

I’m grateful for the sense of personal security I feel taking an autonomous vehicle home late at night after work rather than having to get in a car with

a stranger

I’m very disappointed that the CPUC has postponed the approval of these driverless deployment application

Option 4 -

I want to urge the CPUC to approve Cruise and Waymo’s driverless deployment applications as soon as possible so more people can benefit from this technology

Option 5 -

As the draft resolution points out, Waymo has helped expand mobility access for seniors and blind people.

I Encourage you to write out your comments and craft them so they are as concise as possible. Please practice presenting your comments. It is more difficult

to speak in a shorter amount of time, because you will have more points you want to share then time to speak. Also, if you use a white cane. Please keep

it extended and lean it on your shoulder when you are not using your white cane. You are much more visible as a blind person if you display your white

cane while giving your comments and when sitting in the audience. We want to remain very visible.

Thank you again for your advocacy efforts. Your voice and your presence make a difference.

Sincerely,

Tim Elder

President

president at nfbcal.org <mailto:president at nfbcal.org>

(916) 382-0372

http://www.nfbcal.org/

Did you know that blind Californians are holding monthly meetings in your region over Zoom and telephone?  Check out our virtual local chapter and division

meetings.  All are welcome to attend.

http://www.nfbcal.org/chapters-and-divisions/

Timothy Elder
Attorney
TRE Legal Practice
1155 Market Street, Tenth Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: (415) 873-9199
Fax: (415) 952-9898

E-mail:  <mailto:telder at trelegal.com> telder at trelegal.com
 <http://www.trelegal.com/> www.trelegal.com

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/TRELegal> @trelegal

Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail may contain confidential information that may also be legally privileged and that is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized agent of the recipient, please be advised that any dissemination or copying of this e-mail, or taking of any action in reliance on the information contained herein, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by use of the Reply button, and then delete the e-mail from your system. Thank you!