[NFBC-Info] Revisions to the California Guidelines for Programs Serving Students With Visual Impairments

Gina Ouellette gouellette at csb-cde.ca.gov
Mon Mar 18 20:59:50 UTC 2024

Hello NFB of California Members,

Thank you for allowing us to talk with you all about the upcoming revisions to the California Guidelines for Programs Serving Students with Visual Impairments at the NFB of California Convention. We deeply appreciate you providing us with the time to share the revisions process with you all.

In 2014, California School for the Blind assisted the California Department of Education in producing the very first Guidelines for Programs Serving Students With Visual Impairments. This year we are committed to beginning the revision process. We look forward to bringing new and up-to-date information to the community of people working with visually impaired students, but we do not want to do this alone! We would like the community of blind and low vision people, families, educators, administrators, paraprofessionals, and more to join us in this endeavor!

As we mentioned in our presentation, it is absolutely critical that we have input from individuals who are blind and low vision. You each have been through the K-12 education system and are experts in the lived experience of being a blind person. Your feedback and expertise will help shape the revised guidelines. If you are interested in contributing to the Guidelines for Programs Serving Students With Visual Impairments, please complete this Interest Form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CZyYyjfGLIlGTcLpW6K3a_xYzJvr8kOiNVFz-aUT848/edit>. Our outreach coordinator, Morgan Mitchell, will match you with sections where your expertise will shine.

If you would like to check out the Guidelines as a Contributor prior to signing up through the interest form, please feel free to check it out the links below:

  *   Kick-Off Meeting Slide Deck<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LacdroVXEX5EP-AO6WGShzCTRlBK_4Gf0uHopcMw0iY/edit?usp=sharing>
  *   Guidelines Committee Folder (Master folder)<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jugg7t-vseqipaWwL2en6-qG42ckJ7Wz?usp=drive_link>
  *   Guidelines Sections (Google Doc with all the linked sections)<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lgYnZXWgEEwQ7EOok2Bao-PcoY7s0BTSapPPZdLD1TM/edit?usp=drive_link>
We want you to get credit for your contribution so appreciate if you fill out the interest form. It also helps us help you contribute in the best way possible for you. If you want to do so without signing up or forward the links along, you are welcome to do that as well.

If you have any further questions please contact the Outreach Coordinator, Morgan Mitchell, at m.mitchell at g.csb-cde.ca.gov<mailto:m.mitchell at g.csb-cde.ca.gov>.

All the best,

Gina Ouellette (she/her/hers)

Gina E. Ouellette