[NFBC-SFV] Equity for the Blind in Health and Wellness

Hearts For Sight Foundation hearts4sight at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 20:35:11 UTC 2021

How your support is helping VIPs with healthy lifestyles and disease prevention  HFS Newsletter October 2021 Your Support Helps Bring Equity in Health and Wellness to the Visually Impaired Community The photo above shows the difference between EQUALITY vs. EQUITY. Equity is doing what it takes to have a person have the same benefits.     "Disability is not something an individual overcomes. I'm still disabled. I'm still Deafblind. People with disabilities are successful when we develop alternative techniques and our communities choose inclusion" -Haben Girna Table of Contents President's Message Upcoming Activities VIP Testimonial Joseph's Avocado BLT Sandwich Recipe Ways to Support VIPs ‌ ‌ ‌ Donate October's Presidential Note: Bringing Equity to the Health and Wellness of the Blind Community Hello NFB SFV Chapter, The month of October has been dedicated to Blind Equity Achievement At HFS, we believe that educating the sighted world about the disparities that exist concerning access to health-promoting services and the impacts on physical and mental health for visually impaired people is key to developing an environment together that is inclusive and equitable for everyone.   People living with disabilities have made instrumental strides towards becoming more independent and many are living fulfilling lives since the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act- a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities, However, even with the passing of this legislation, people living with disabilities, especially people living with visual impairments experience discrimination, as access to many health-promoting services and programs remain inaccessible.   At Hearts For Sight, we believe firmly that health and wellness equity for those who are blind is the utmost important initiative for our population to truly live successful and independent lives. As such, Hearts for Sight envision a world where VIPs can count on unfettered and unhindered access to all public spaces. Our current programs bring equity to the blind with techniques like scouting a hike before taking VIPs, verbally describing yoga positions and encouraging exercise on a surrey bike where everyone pedals, even though someone sighted steers. With support from people like you, HFS plans to build a specially designed health and wellness center for the blind and visually impaired.    HFS invites you to join us on a mission to break barriers and help us make our environment, including public programs and services, to be more inclusive so that our VIP communities can work to become healthier and live more fulfilling lives. It’s important to note that VIPs don’t wish to be physically or psychologically unwell. On the contrary– programs and services just simply need to be more equitable, and access must be unhindered.   As the season of giving quickly approaches, we invite you to be a part of the solution. Please make a donation now or on Giving Tuesday, November 30. Introduce us to an organization or person who may want to sponsor this cause along with us. Consider a monthly donation that will make our ongoing work possible. Spread the word through email, social media or word-of-mouth. Volunteer. There are a variety of opportunities to fit your skills and interests.   As always, thank you for the continued support and your allyship!  Sincerely,  Joseph Burton, MSW President and Co-founder Hearts for Sight Foundation "You were put on this earth to achieve your greatest self, to live out your purpose, and to do it courageously.” -Steve Marabol Upcoming HFS Community Activities We hope to see you at any of these Hearts For Sight activities. Please don’t forget to share this information with your friends and family or anyone that may be interested.  ‌ ‌ ‌ Halloween Monster Bash Fundraiser Friday, October 29th ~ 6 to 10 PM Regis House Community Center 2212 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90057 Food, Fun and Fundraising for a good cause - Funding Programs for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Covid-friendly with an outdoor taco cart and eating areas, as well as increased cleaning and plenty of room for social distancing. DJ Saxy Jeff will be returning for your listening and dancing pleasure. Decorate Halloween sugar cookies. Candy bags for the kids. Prizes for several categories in our costume contest. 50/50 Raffle, door prizes, games and more..... Sighted friends: Experience temporary blindness through a few fun games: Tickets: Adults $30 ~ Children under 21: $10 Dinner, drinks and all the fun! Unlimited Taco plate plus two alcoholic drinks for adults, Non-alcoholic drinks for children or adults  Click on this link for the full Monster Bash Flier Can you help? Volunteers still needed for the event including escorting the visually impaired (no experience necessary), blowing up balloons, help run games, costume contest , etc. Contact Racquel at hearts4sight at gmail.com or call/text her at (818) 457-1482. To purchase tickets for yourself or as a donation click here Hearts for Sight invites you to Adrienne’s Invigorate Yoga Flow in the comfort of your home via Zoom. Join us for an energetic class meant to be challenging yet accessible. Expect to move through a gentle warm up, before moving through a series of standing postures, some core work, and finish with some restorative stretches before savasana (rest). Here are the next dates of sessions scheduled: Wednesday, November 3 at 7:00 PM Sunday, November 21 at 5:00 PM Wednesday, December 1 at 7:00 PM Sunday, December 19 at 5:00 PM  You will be provided the Zoom link to access the class several days before the scheduled session. Just email or call to sign up. Picture of Kelli M and her two sons plus Rochelle H and Charlotte C posing for the camera while riding their surrey bike. Multi-People Powered Surrey Biking by the Shoreline Saturday, November 20, 2021 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM Wheel Fun Rentals Location – Long Beach Shoreline 429 Shoreline Village Dr., Long Beach, CA 90802 Another opportunity to go biking with our friends! Enjoy a beautiful morning with Hearts For Sight biking along the shoreline of Long Beach. With two steering wheels, and four to six people pedaling together, these covered bikes are perfect for people to safely get out and engage in physical activity while enjoying a great social event too. Suggested donation - $10 per participant From our last hike to at El Dorado Park, the photo above shows a large group of HFS hikers and volunteers enjoying the fresh air and exercise. Hiking in Malibu Creek November 28, 2021 1925 Las Virgenes Rd, Calabasas, CA 91302 Beautiful and rugged Malibu Creek State Park is in the Heart of the Santa Monica Mountains near Malibu. It was the land of the Chumash Indians and has been open to the public as a wilderness area since 1976. It is the home of many types of plants, birds, and animals. Malibu Creek is known for its mountainous landscape, waterways, and hiking trails. Many movies and TV shows were filmed here, such as M*A*S*H* and Planet of the Apes. We will hike through the Braille trail and other areas, visit the nature center, talk to the docents and picnic in this natural haven. Thanks to our sponsor Inspiring Connections Outdoors (ICO) HFS will be chartering a school bus from Almansor Park in Alhambra to Malibu Creek. Second bus stop is at Lake Balboa Sports Center in Encino. Space on the bus is limited, but it will be a lot of fun so sign up soon. Further details will be provided in the coming weeks. HFS, Sierra Club and ICO continue to adhere to all public safety protocols during these times, so ADVANCE RSVP IS A MUST. We are limiting our hiking group to 30, including both blind / visually impaired participants and sighted guides. First come, first serve.   SIGHTED GUIDES NEEDED so that every VIP gets their own guide. No experience necessary. We will "guide you" through the training. Hearts For Sight Individual Therapy Program Do you know someone who is struggling to cope with the loss of your eye sight? Challenges at work, or with a relationship? We can help! Hearts For Sight (HFS) is now providing individual therapy. HFS is offering an opportunity for adults 18 years old and up to sign up for this therapy program. Therapy sessions will be pro-bono (for free) for now. To sign up for individual therapy program, please contact HFS staff via email, hearts4sight at gmail.com, or by calling 818-457-1482. The HFS staff will assist you with the registration and intake process. Save these dates in your calendar: Surrey Bike Riding - Saturday, 12/11/21 - Lake Balboa Park Hiking - Sunday, 1/2/22 - Claremont Wilderness Park Start off the new year with a moderately hard route in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in eastern Los Angeles County. Five miles, 550 feet of gain.  Hiking - Saturday 1/19/22 TBD Have a favorite place to hike? Let us know. VIP Testimonial My Hiking Experience by Delia                This past weekend I decided to go hiking with Hearts for Sight. I’ve gone hiking before, but I’ve never gone hiking with an organization that wants to better the lives of the blind and visually impaired by providing them with activities to stay active. We met at the El Dorado Nature Center in Long beach. At first, I was expecting lots of hills but instead, it ended up being mostly flat with only couple of hills. Also, when hiking I was able take in the smells of different plants along the way. I also felt relaxed while hiking as I listened for all kinds of different birds.                Later on, we stopped to have lunch and I got to know the people who went along with us. One of the best highlights of this trip was meeting a celebrity from one of my favorite shows, In the Dark. After we got back, I ended up meeting Perry Mattfeld who plays the show’s main character who happens to be blind. I was excited to meet her, and, at the same time, I thought I was dreaming. I mentioned to her that I love her show and asked her how she prepared for that role. She mentioned that she met with someone who is blind and watched her going about her life, like how she puts on her makeup, gets ready for bed, etc. I hope to meet her again someday and also I can’t wait for the next hike!   Not only did I have a good time; I am looking forward to the next one. It’s also important for me as a blind person to have the opportunity to get out of the house and be active. It’s much more enjoyable to be able to get out and feel the fresh air and listen to nature while taking a hike. I’m glad and thankful for Hearts for Sight for putting this together and I can’t wait for the next one! "The question isn't: who's going to let me? It's: who's going to stop me?" ~ Ayn Rand Rochelle and Charlotte are best of friends. We were glad to have them join us this past month during our HFS Hike. Joseph’s Classic Avocado BLT For the many who know me (Joseph Burton) and have seen me at our Hearts for Sight outdoor activities, they know that I really enjoy cooking. One of my favorite foods to make are sandwiches. However, we are not talking about regular sandwiches, we are talking gourmet style sandwiches that you would find at a deli shop. But instead of going to the deli shop, I’ll be sharing one of my recipes so that YOU can make gourmet sandwiches right at home. Here’s what you’ll need to make one of my classic Avocado BLT’s:  Click here for Joseph’s Classic Avocado BLT recipe Now that you know how to make Joseph’s Classic Avocado BLT, share with Hearts for Sight your sandwich creation using this email. We look forward to seeing your creations! HFS Newsletter October 2021 Our Mission Hearts for Sight is committed to continuing our mission of breaking down barriers to health and fitness that restrict the blind and visually impaired, so they may pursue physical, mental, and emotional wellness. Your contributions will help us to realize our long-term goal of having a Wellness and Fitness Center, including a specialized gym for the visually impaired. A lot of technology is available that would make a fitness center more accessible. Raised patterns on the floor could help with directions. Electronic voices could announce the type of machine and the amount of weights. We are looking for sponsors that would help Hearts for Sight make this Health and Wellness Center a reality to aid a visually impaired person in staying healthy. This month we need your help by: 1) Buy tickets to our Monster Bash and invite others. 2) Share this newsletter to your social media page or pass this email on to someone who is blind or visually impaired. Please invite them to join you (virtually or outdoors) for one of our activities. 3) Volunteer to be a sighted guide for our next hike or surrey biking by emailing Racquel at hearts4sight at gmail.com or call 818-457-1482. 4) Donate funds of any amount: A $10 donation lets one child enjoy the Monster Bash A gift of $30 gives a blind adult a meal & a night of fun at the Monster Bash A $100 donation provides one individual counseling session Donate Now Hearts for Sight hopes you have enjoyed this newsletter. Please let us know if you have any thoughts or ideas that would improve it. Email us at hearts4sight at gmail.com or call us at 818-457-1482. We look forward to helping you achieve health and wellness in 2021 and beyond. Joseph, Racquel, and the entire team at Hearts for Sight Foundation Sign-up for Updates ‌ ‌ ‌ Hearts for Sight Team and Supporters During Surrey Biking in Long Beach with the Pacific Ocean in the background Hearts For Sight Foundation | 1540 Prospect Avenue, San Gabriel, CA 91776 Unsubscribe nfbc-sfv at nfbnet.org Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice Sent by hearts4sight at gmail.com powered by Try email marketing for free today!