[nfbcs] navigating a set top box and hard drive

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Dec 10 13:04:45 UTC 2009

Hi Marvin.
We recently got a DVR included with our cable box, and it might be
similar.  My husband can still see well enough to make out the menus, so
he looked at them and I wrote down what he saw.  After that, I can do it
by myself, because the menus do not change--the entry point is always the
same.  So I know I have to arrow down twice, then hit select.  I can
record, play, and delete.  I haven't tried setting up something like
recording the same show every week, but the instructions seem simple.  So,
if the set-top box is similar, you can do it, with some initial help and
some good notes.

I heard yesterday that the FCC is thinking about making it so that a
customer would buy a set-top box, then subscribe only to the channels he
wants, instead of paying the cable company for hundreds of channels he
never watches.  Interesting, but I wonder if that kind of thing will be
accessible?
Tracy