[nfbcs] Fwd: Happy Birthday Mr. Braille! - $200 discount on our Braille products

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Wed Jan 7 06:53:40 UTC 2009

Everett,

The definition of literate is:
literacy - Ability to read, spell and to communicate through written
language.

Can you read (not listen) and write? If so, you are literate.

When we read a story to a toddler that is sighted, do we say that they are
literate (have the ability to read and write)?

Just because the blind have developed many varied ways of ACCESSING the
printed word, it does not necessarily make them literate.

Are you reading this email or listening to it?

Listening is a very important skill and very valuable for obtaining
information. However, it is not a substitute for actually reading. I am sure
that you will be able to respond to this email by typing (a form of writing)
but that is only half of the equation.

Please understand that this definition of literacy is not meant to put
people down. It is merely a fact and statistic that needs to be improved if
blind people want access. Public schools are denying blind children the
right to literacy the same way black people were denied the right to read
and write. It was actually illegal to teach them these skills because the
white man knew that it would make the black man his equal.

The blind do not have equal access to reading and writing and we do not have
equal access to jobs. I listen to the paper every day and hear how awful it
is that the state might reach eight percent unemployment. We would all be
dancing and shouting hallelujah if the blind reached that number.

Just a little something to think about.

Cindy

%40zufelt.ca