[nfbcs] Fwd: Happy Birthday Mr. Braille

Liz Bottner liz.bottner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 16:07:19 UTC 2009

Gary,

Thank you for your post. When I started this discussion, I did not mean, nor
do I now, that not knowing Braille is synonymous with inferiority. I meant
solely that I am of the opinion that for an individual who is a prime
candidate to learn Braille, and there is no reason why he or she shouldn't
nor are there any roadblocks in doing so, then by all means learn it. On
this basis, if the person does not know Braille, then I consider them
illiterate. As I stated in a previous post, there are different
circumstances and cases that are exceptions, but on the whole, Braille
should be taught to blind children just as print is to the sighted.

This is the last I will post on this topic. Perhaps this went off topic from
the list a bit, to which I do apologize.

Take care,

Liz

email:
liz.bottner at gmail.com