[nfbcs] Notetaker Reviews

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 18 14:04:15 UTC 2009

Yeah, I saw that the dimensions of the other units are less than the Pac
Mate. As you know, I own a Pac Mate. But I am wondering how they could make
a notetaker any smaller. The PM already has a compressed keyboard. It is a
fairly normal qwerty keyboard layout but there isn't quite as much space
between the keys as there usually is.  And the layout does differ a bit from
a regular qwerty keyboard. Some keys have been moved to fit the keyboard
into a smaller space. Add on a braille display and I just don't see how the
thing could be a lot smaller. Thinner maybe. And lighter maybe.  But there
just is not a great deal of wasted space on the top surface of a Pac Mate.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd definately buy a standard notebook
computer and put nvda on it. And then I'd buy a Trekker or something
similar.  My Pac Mate has a GPS and I love it. I would no longer want to be
without a GPS. But I'll admit that lugging a Pac Mate around is a pain. On
the other hand, it can actually be an advantage to *have* to lug your
notetaker around because then when you arrive at your destination, you have
your notetaker. As much of a pain as it is to lug around, its nice to have
it handy.

One day this week, I used the GPS feature on my Pac Mate to go to a Lions
Club meeting at a hotel. At the meeting I took notes with the Pac Mate and
added some folks to my contact database. Before the meeting I got on-line
via the hotel's wireless and checked my email. That evening I composed a
letter on the Pac Mate. Later I listened to a book downloaded from
bookshare.org.

Not every day is that Pac Mate intensive. I literally do take it with me
almost everywhere I go. But it is a huge pain to lug around.