[nfbcs] Booting from Linux CD and Accessing the Hard Drive

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 9 02:53:09 UTC 2010

Jim,

By "Live cd" version, is it meant that one can boot from the CD while other versions would require a partition with a little
space?

Thanks for the information.

Best regards,

Steve

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:01:50 -0700, Jim Barbour wrote:

>Steve,

>I'm not John, but I'll take a shot at this...

>It depends on which distribution of Linux.  For example, grml linux
>boots into a nice command line environment, and you can turn on
>speakup, which is a dos like screen reader.

>Ubuntu has a live CD versions, and comes with orca.

>Available tools on linux will help manipulate a hard drive and its
>partitions (see fdisk, parted, fsck.vfat, and fsck.ntfs)  However,
>nothing I'm aware of will pay attention to the contents of those
>filesystems.  i.e. no way to fix the registry.

>Talk to you soon,
>Jim

>On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:05:13PM -0500, Steve Jacobson wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> I assume that you are familiar with booting from a Linux CD from your note below.  What I am wondering is to what
degree could a person boot from a Linux CD with
>> speech as an alternative to "Safe mode" which is generally not accessible?  While this is probably too vague a
question to answer with a "yes" or "no," I assume
>> that one could do some file manipulation on one's hard drive providing the drive was not dammaged, but what sorts
of tools would one need to do that?  Do you
>> know of any specific Linux-based tools that are designed to make repairs to the Windows operating system?  For
example, if one were to boot from Linux, the
>> Windows registry would obviously not be loaded into memory, but the files containing the registry should be
accessible if a tool new how to process them.  The idea
>> of booting into Linux from a CD without installing something on the computer is an interesting one.  How easy is
FireFox to use in this environment?