[nfbcs] [nabs-l] Basic Questions About Mac versus Pc

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun May 9 04:14:35 UTC 2010

Joe,

I am not a MAC user, at least not at this point, but I definitely am one who takes it seriously.  In the end, though, I think
there is much to be gained by remaining as consistent as you can be with your co-workers in terms of the platform you
use.  Clearly, if your workers use Windows and one of the major apps they use is not very accessible and the MAC
version of the same app is much more accessible, you should give it a very good look.  If your co-workers are using
MACS and the apps they use seem to be pretty accessible, it would seem worth going with a MAC unles you found the
same apps were much more accessible on a Windows machine.  However, going it alone on the job with either platform
puts you at a disadvantage.

I am still not convinced, although I am more than willing to listen, that it is worth going with a MAC if your job site makes
heavy use of Microsoft Office, particularly if you will also be authoring or modifying documents.  I know that Open Office
can handle Microsoft Office files, but if things get complicated, there are just always oddities that come to the surface.  I
just experienced that very thing with a document my daughter wrote in Open Office on the MAC and saved in Word
format.  Something when wrong with the formatting in a big way.  Was there a cause and could it have been corrected
in general,
probably, but it took time and would have taken more time to investigate than we had just then.  Again, if you were to
establish that your productivity was much better with Open Office in this particular example, it may overcome the
potential pitfalls, but you again run a risk of not having the support of your jobs IT or help desk staff.  This example could
be turned around, too, meaning that using Microsoft Office if your employer uses MACs and Open Office is also probably
not a good idea if you find Open Office to work pretty well for you.  In most cases here, we're talking about document
compatibility with other co-workers.  TextEdit on the MAC is far more than a text editor and is a decent word processor
and it is free and very good for most personal use.  Some compare it with WordPad, but I believe that is not really a fair
comparison, it has more power.  I just think that consistency with your co-workers has to be a major consideration,
whichever platform they use, as long as the apps being used are accessible.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson