[nfbcs] certifications

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Mon May 10 17:14:13 UTC 2010

Hello and good morning Kelly and all,

I've just finished my Network + certification last Thursday and I did the A
+ certification last year. You can either go the classroom training route to
get your certifications, or you can use self-study and/or online materials.
For my certifications, I did both. The University of New Mexico has a
continuing education program that offers various information technology
classes. The A+ and Network + classes run for 7 classes, four hours a class,
two times a week. There is also material on many certifications available
from Safari books online for the Network +, A+, Cisco and Microsoft
certifications. Safari is not free, but perhaps you could get your agency to
pay for it, an unlimited account is $49 per month. The books can be read via
your web browser or downloaded into a readable pdf document depending on the
Safari plan you have.
Finally, the Measure Up web site, www.measureup.com.,  has online classes
that you can purchase, along with accessible practice exams. I paid $180 for
the online course for the network + exam and its associated practice test.
You have to play with the online class a bit, it uses flash and the majority
of it is accessible, but you'll need to play around with it a little to make
it work.
As for Cisco, if you've been on this list for a while, you may have heard
mention of the folks in Perth, Australia who offer online programs for cisco
certifications. It's a great program, the people are wonderful, I was in the
program for a while but had to leave due to school and employment conflicts,
I would love to work with the folks again as it's a really great program.
Please don't hesitate to write off list if I can be of any assistance.

Beth