[nfbcs] Outlook 2010 Conundrums

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jan 6 00:38:51 UTC 2011

Hello, all.

Santa was very kind to me this last Christmas; I thought surely he'd leave me with a lump of coal.  However, instead he left me a wireless keyboard for my iPhone and a new computer.  And therein lies the reason for this post.  It's a 64-bit machine with a fast processor, upgraded sound card and large (for a laptop) hard drive.  And, much to my chagrin, it obviously runs Windows 7.  This means I have to get used to a bit different interface and no more Outlook Express.  So I bought Office 2010.  Hence, I have questions about Outlook 2010.

I managed to get it configured for my Panix account although the automatic configuration chose IMAP instead of POP3 for the incoming mail protocol.  I received messages okay the first evening of use and test messages from the account configuration menu still work.  But I can't seem to download messages from Panix and see them in my inbox.  I don't know whether something's bum in folder synchronization (I'd rather avoid this altogether but it's part of the IMAP process).  Also, I seem to have run into the problem wherein I'm not accessing the inbox I did the first evening (which may be part of the problem).  I don't know what, if anything, I changed.  I have a feeling it's sort of like the Outlook Express problem wherein the program creates new folders with (1), (2), etc. when creating folders with the same name for an account (that's why there's an involved procedure for manually restoring folders).  Anyway, I'm stumped.  I'm sorry I can't give you an exact error message.

I can find the individual email messages under the Start Menu search box when I type Outlook in it to bring up the program.  But I can't seem to get Outlook to see them again.

Sorry for the confusing description.  I'm having to learn Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 at the same time.  I there a way to re-initialize Outlook without uninstalling/installing Office again?

T I A!

Mike