[nfbcs] Braille on the iPad

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Mon Oct 31 00:35:23 UTC 2011

Braille input on the iPad is cool .. that's for sure.  But it doesn't
address the need for a Braille display to read documents stored in the
device.  Unfortunately, that's where a Braille display comes in ... and
they're expensive.  I'm debating purchasing an iPad and a Refreshabraille
18.  I would want to have the iPad to download documents.   Then once
navigated to the document I'm interested in, put the iPad away in the carry
bag I always have with me and use the little Refreshabraille to navigate and
read the document.  In this day and age, small is the answer, and the
Refreshabraille is just that.  In a way, it's too bad that I've found
Braille so useful.  It sure beats holding a device or publication two inches
away from my face to read it (I have vision).  The problem with any Braille
display, of course, is the cost.  The little Refreshabraille is $1700 ...
just for that small device.  It should be more like $500 which would open up
the availability to a lot more people.  I'm hoping the research they're
doing in deformable polymers brings the cost of a cell down to $5 or $10
like the researchers are saying.  Then a 20 cell display would only be $200
plus the other hardware on the device.  Perhaps that would reduce the cost
to the $500 price tag I mention.

Despite that, I think it's great that we have such devices as the iPad and
the fact that they are wireless which makes the Refreshabraille solution a
possibility.  And, let's not forget Mr. Braille's contribution.  Without
that ... well we'd be in a world of hurt.

And since this is the computer science discussion group ... can I ask a
question?  If someone came up with a new program that would help the blind
... who could they submit it to for evaluation?