[nfbcs] Text Editors

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sat Apr 14 21:16:16 UTC 2012

Regarding Java Access Bridge ....

The short answer is that the Access Bridge runs in between Jaws and an
executing Java program on your computer.  It allows Jaws to talk to the Java
application (by going through the Access Bridge) so the Java app is
accessible just like Windows programs that are accessible with the use of
Jaws.   Without the Access Bridge, Java apps would be inaccessible since (at
least with Jaws) screen readers can't talk to Java programs running in their
JRE.

Java programs run (when running on Windows platform) within an environment
called the "Java Runtime Environment" ... "JRE" for short.  The JRE is a
support environment and has libraries that a Java program needs to access to
run.  When a Java application is started, the JRE (which hosts the
supporting software libraries just mentioned) is launched, and then the Java
program runs within the JRE.  It's the same thing as w Windows program
running within the Windows environment which is it's support environment.

Natively, without any other software, accessibility programs can't talk to
Java programs running within the JRE.  The Windows screen readers can run
and do their thing and talk to applications that run in the hosting O/S, but
the Jaws (or other screen reader) can't talk to the JRE or the Java program
running within it.

Enter the Java Access Bridge.

This is a middle layer that sits between the windows screen reader and the
JRE where the Java program is running.  The Java Access Bridge is really a
Windows DLL that runs within Windows O/S and knows how to communicate with
the JRE and the running Java app inside the JRE.  Jaws or other JRE
compatible screen readers can talk to the Access Bridge which can talk to
the Java program running within the JRE.

Using the Access Bridge, then, allows Jaws to read the screen for Java
applications.

Hope that explains it.