[nfbcs] [Fwd: Article on COBOL - Computerworld]

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 27 13:43:50 UTC 2012

Hi Leslie.
I don't know what programs offer COBOL anymore.  I just passed on an
article that was passed on to me.
It's true that, once one knows programming concepts, one can learn lots of
languages.  But, in my experience, knowing a language well lets me use all
kinds of things to make my code more efficient and/or understandable.  (Of
course, no one seems to care about efficiency anymore, but I still do.)
And I know, when my boss is hiring, he'll give preference to someone who
already knows the languages we use the most, if he can find someone who
does.  And C is not something we use much at all, but COBOL is still being
written in my shop.  I expect it will be for at least another 10 years,
maybe longer.
On the other hand, the guy who gave me the article works for a bank that
is shipping jobs to India as fast as it can.  Maybe they'll finally ship
the CEO's job there as well, and it will be Bank of Mumbai, instead of
Bank of NY. But the fat cats never cut their own jobs, oh my no.
Tracy