[nfbcs] Opinions?

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Sun Feb 19 03:48:33 UTC 2012

>From reading the article, it looks like the author's main reason for
not using Jaws for testing is because they don't know how to use it or
test with it properly.  So, in so far as the authors point is that
inexperienced folks shouldn't test with Jaws, I can probably agree
with them.  However, automated tools are not sufficient for
accessibility testing.  This is especially true when you start working
with dynamic content.  The way Jaws and other screen readers respond
to such content is very poorly defined in many instances.  The only
way to know if your accessibility efforts have paid off is to test
with AT.  Otherwise you're just guessing.

Also, making a site accessible isn't just about checking to see if a
screen reader can read your content.  It's also about (or it should be
about) making the experience as painless as possible.  No automated
testing tool can tell you that, just like no automated tool can tell
you whether or not your site looks good.

My $0.02.

Aaron Cannon