[nfbcs] Opinions?

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 18:35:46 UTC 2012

There is another point here and it hits those of us who use screen readers.
Most of us are not geeks, but if we want full access to the screen, or at
least as full as our technology will allow, we have to know it inside out.
Too many users of JAWS on the web only know how to use the tab key, are
confused by forms mode, do not know how to move by headings forward and
backward, do not know how to look for text on a web page, do not know how to
skip passed repeated links, and do not know how to turn all of those links
into a list. Many do not know how to look for edit fields where entry is
required, many don't know how to look for buttons. If the Jaws cursor is
needed to determine what question is being asked in a dialog box, many can
only tab between cancel and okay and wonder what they are doing if they
press one or the other.

There are training materials for all of this and paid courses where the
individualized training falls short. So you have the question of whether
something is accessible, then usable, then efficiently usable, but one big
variable is the proficiency of the user. Granted it is tough for blind
folks. We need to learn keystrokes to do what is often intuitive for folks
with sight, but it is hard to say when a site is just right. What works for
Curtis may not work for me. What works for me may not work for my wife. For
my wife and I, that means making sure the problem is the technology and not
our knowledge of how to use it.

Warmly,

Gary