[nfbcs] programming editors for Windows

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 4 14:41:49 UTC 2012

I can't say I'm actually recommending this but I use TextPad. The main
reason I use it is because it is fast and it does handle all of the
different file formats seamlessly. I do all my programming with TexPad on
files saved with unix line terminators.

I tried UltraEdit version 11 but I didn't like its response time. And it
kept crashing on me. I could reproduce the problem. I'd load a php file with
unix line terminators and it would crash. Not on every file but on
particular files it would crash every time. So I contacted technical support
and they claimed no one else had reported the bug. But other people had
reported on their web site. So I felt I was being given the run around. Of
course, by that time they already had my money. But they're not getting any
more.

So I went back to TextPad. I like the response time and I don't thinnk it
has ever crashed in the 20 years I've been using it. I use TextPad in
conjunction with sftpDrive. SftpDrive is now called ExpandDrive. I recently
updated my license to ExpandDrive but I found that the user interface is no
longer accessible. So I'm back to useing the old version SftpDrive. Anyway,
sftpDrive allows you to map a Windows network drive to any computer running
an ssh server. Our web server is linux so I write php code for it by mapping
a network drive with sftpDrive and then editing the code with TextPad.

If I was just a programmer, I might use some other text editor. But since
I'm also a systems admin, I often need to edit config files. And the
combination of sftpDrive and TextPad works great for that.