[nfbcs] programming editors for Windows

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jan 4 15:28:37 UTC 2012

Aaron,

I am a long-time user of a program called UltraEdit.  I use it for a lot of different things, although I
can't say that I use it as a development tool to the degree that you might.  Also, I use it with Window-
Eyes, but believe it works all right with JFW as well if configured correctly.  It has a lot of features
that I don't need, but I can see where things such as syntax and keyword highlighting might be leveraged
to a greater degree than I do when working in specific programming languages.  It definitely handles
converting between Windows and Unix, and it also can be made to use FTP to open and save files on a
server which I find handy.  I actually use it sometimes to open files on the IBM mainframe because it is
more flexible for copying and pasting into e-mail files than using my terminal emulators copy
capability.  You can read more about it and download a demo at

http://www.ultraedit.com

but I'd be glad to answer more questions off list.  I believe the demo is a fully functional version
that one can use for thirty days or so.  It costs around $50 to purchase.

I know that others have used NoteTab Pro as well with a lot of success.  I used it for a time at one
point but switched to UltraEdit to get some features that NoteTab has since added.  There other editors
out there that might serve you well, too.

Again, if you have specific questions that you would like to take off list, I would be glad to attempt
to help.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson