[nfbcs] BMC Remedy web-based client

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 17 20:24:27 UTC 2012

I don't think there is any law in the USA that says that software has to be
accessible.  There is a law called the Rehab Act that says that agencies of
the government of the United States can't buy inaccessible software if there
is an accessible alternative. I think it was the Rehab Act that the NFB used
to get several universities to stop their plans to buy their students kindle
book readers.  There is also a law that says that consumer communications
equipment has to be made accessible. That is the
Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act. Then there
is the ADA which the Justice Department recently said applies to web sites.
But like VMWare or Microsoft Word... I don't think there is any law covering
software like that. I doubt it would be illegal for a company to buy an
inacccessible software package and then fire a blind person for not being
able to use it.   The company could argue that using the software is an
essential part of the job. They could say that a blind person simply cannot
do the job. Nobody wants a blind airline pilot for example. If there is a
screen reader that would allow you to use the software, they'd have to buy
you that. But if no screen reader could work with their software, I believe
they could show you the door.

The greatest hope for progress on accessible software is for us to put some
teeth into the Rehab Act. The success of the Kindle suit shows how well that
can work. If government agencies like colleges and universities, most of
which take funding from the federal government, cannot buy a software
product because its inaccessible, then companies would be highly motivated
to make their products accessible.  In fact, I believe this is the reason
VoiceOver exists. Apple didn't write VoiceOver out of the goodness of their
collective heart. No, they wrote it so they could continue to sell computers
to colleges and universities.

The NFB has really taken some major steps in this direction in the last
couple of years with the Kindle lawsuit and the one against Penn State
University. Any university in this country is as guilty as Penn State. If we
can light a fire under university administrators, software developers will
sit up and take notice. They don't want to be locked out of the academic
market.