[nfbcs] Accessibility (was: BMC Remedy web-based client)

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 18 15:37:29 UTC 2012

I think a lot of developers don't consider accessibility at all.  They
think everyone else is just the same as they are.  In their world, blind
people don't even exist.  If they think of us at all, which is very
unlikely, then they think of us as street beggars or elderly invalids,
certainly not as people working for a living.
The hospital I work for makes a big deal about diversity and inclusion,
and the developers who are in the same office as I am try to build in
accessibility.  But, if the hospital outsources a project, forget it.  The
whole mandated training system is not accessible to me.  It sings; it
dances; it even talks Spanish.  What it doesn't do is allow me to even
click "next".  I have pointed it out several times to Human Resources, and
my bosses, but nothing is done about it.  And I would bet, when they get
around to redoing the system some day, accessibility will be forgotten
again.

Big companies like Microsoft and Apple are making some efforts, but there
are way more for whom blind people don't even exist.

I remember that IBM commercial John mentions.  I thought it was good.
Tracy