[nfbcs] table reading

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jul 27 21:47:05 UTC 2012

Susie,

When I look at a new page, I usually explore it some to see what is there.  I would routinely check
headings and look for tables.  Often you can get a better and quicker idea of what is there by going
through the headings.  However, if I used the link list and found fifty delete links, for example, I
would go exploring to see why they were there.  I just think that with all that we need to have done to
make pages accessible, it would be a lot to expect to incorporate the data in another column into the
label on other links on that row.  In some cases, it might not be that hard, but it would depend upon
the page generator used.  To me this is a little different than having fifteen "Click here" links where
the data is static so labeling as "Click here to buy" "Clidk here to browse" shouldn't be that big a
deal.  Even then, though, looking at the link in context usually tells us what it is.

JAWS 13 may have the table mode that is mentioned, but earlier versions of JFW and Window-Eyes have
table navigation keys.  Even NVDA has them.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:14:12 +0000, Stanzel, Susan - FSA, Kansas City, MO wrote:

>I am using Jaws 12. That will be a nice feather when I get 13.

>Susie Stanzel

you execute within a table, it will tell JAWS that you are moving the arrow keys within the table. So,
like, as soon as you hit the line that says, "Table with X columns and Y rows," you press
>Insert+spacebar, and then followed by T, and JAWS will say, "Table." At
>Insert+this
>point, you can hit any arrow key by itself, and it will move you from row to row and column to column.
To exit this mode, press Insert+space again, without the proceeding T. you will hear a sound indicating
that you've exited this mode.

>Alternatively, when you hit the line "table with x columns and Y rows," you can hold down control and
Alt, and while you are holding those keys, press any arrow key, and it will move from row to row and
column to column just like the other mode.

>Regarding links, the links on the table have no other functionality as when not in a table. You should
be able to click them fine.

>Well, hope this helps you.

>Humberto

Kansas City, MO
>Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 10:18 AM
>To: NFB in Computer Science Mailing List
>Subject: Re: [nfbcs] table reading

>Yes, I can do it if I use the table navigation commands. If you don't use the links list to navigate a
new web site, do you just start tabbing?

>Susie

so doing, are you then getting better information.  It is a rare occasion indeed for me ever to use the
link list<grin>.

>Cordially,

>Curtis Chong

I would not know which line it was referring to.
>Do any of you know how this should be coded? Is it correct this way?
>>>
>>> Susit Stanzel
>>>

>>> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA
>>> solely
>for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of
the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties.
If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email
immediately.