[nfbcs] Why Java? was: Software Developer position open

John J. Boyer john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com
Mon Oct 1 23:57:52 UTC 2012

Hi Aaron,

Java was chosen primarily because of SWT (Standard Window Toolkit). This
is a library for graphical intgerfaces that uses the native facilities
of the operating system and so is well adapted to cross-platform
applications like BrailleBlaster, which is intended to run on Linux, Mac
and Windows. As a bonus, because it uses the native operating system
features, it is easily accessible and does not require the Java Access
Bridge.

C is used for the underlying transcription engine, liblouis and
liblouisutdml. Java is more suited to graphical interfaces.

John