[nfbcs] Career Advice

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:08:06 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone:

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

I am legally blind with a background in engineering and manufacturing. After
talking with many blind engineers, I find that many of them are thriving
computer programmers.

I am now trying to decide whether to go to Lions World in Little Rock to
take their 10 month computer programming course. My counselor at my states
agency for the blind wants me to go to Lions World but to take one of their
IRS courses, which would in essence be a guaranteed job with the Feds.

I am the type of person who could do any job, at least that is what my
aptitude tests tell me.

What is life like for blind computer programmers? Do most work for employers
or as freelancers/contractors? Are there any languages in particular I
should focus on? Are there any other ways of learning computer programming
as a blind person than going out of state? Learning on my own is just not
working for me.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Regards

Daniel Garcia
Northville, MI