[nfbcs] Meed thin client env accessibility help

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Tue Oct 23 01:51:49 UTC 2012

Hello,

This extremely low vision software engineer of 15+ years  is looking for
advice and suggestions on how blind software developers are dealing with a
world of growing thin client network environments?

Recently I have been presented with a dilemma on how to interact with a thin
client network environment. I was given a thick client so I can install JAWS
and Zoomtext, but that is all along with Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer is used to connect to a Citrix Windows 7 VM. I am learning
JAWS, so the solution I proposed was to use JAWS tandem to connect the two
Machines (thick client and remote VM). This way I could use JAWS on the
remote VM to know / hear what is going on in the remote Windows 7 VM.  Most
of my tasking would be in developing java,  so I figured I would be able to
use eclipse (a great IDE that is accessible). Then I was told that along
with java, there was some Perl code and C++ binaries, which are on a Red Hat
Linux VM. Upon which I said, no problem I can use SSH tool or putty to
connect to the Linux VM and interact with it since JAWS does an OK job with
those tools from a command line perspective. Then I found out that the
Windows 7 VM was not the set of VMs for developers. Instead most of the
developers on my team use VNC viewer to connect to either the developers
Windows XP VMs or the developer Linux VMs. And as most know VNC is not very
accessible for screen readers.  If I am wrong on this point please let me
know.

So as I see it, the environment is like this....

thick client (windows 7) => Enterprise  Window 7 VM => VNC viewer to a
Windows XP using eclipse or SSH tool to access source code on a Red Hat
Linux VM to develop and compile and unit test.

OR

thick client (windows 7) => Enterprise  Window 7 VM => VNC viewer to a Red
Hat Linux VM using eclipse or terminal window  to access source code and
compile and unit test.

I am currently investigating on whether I can skip over the ' Enterprise
Window 7 VM' step now. Unfortunately the Linux VM seems to only be accessed
through VNC or SSH tool/ putty.

So my question(s) for help is

1. How to get around using VNC viewer?

2.  How do I talk with a Red Hat Linux VM to compile and unit test?

3. How do developers deal with or interact thin client environments?

Does anyone see a solution I am over looking?

Thanks in advance.

--

Graham

blind at trailstone.com