[nfbcs] Math software

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 9 14:42:30 UTC 2013

My opinion is that you're asking your questions in the wrong place.
There is the blind math list for those interested in mathematics
<blindmath at nfbnet.org>. I think you'd get much better answers there.

I went back and reread your original post and I noticed you said you
hadn't done any reaserch yet. That would almost certainly be a good
thing to do. I know there is a product written by blind mathematicians
that is for getting documents from Word for example into braille. See
http://www.duxburysystems.com/megadots.asp. I only know about that
because tI have been told one of the founders got her degree in math
from the University of Wisconsin where I now work. But there might be
other tools that I've never heard of.

It seems to me that the existence of the megadots system proves you're
not crazy. It also looks like that megadots program is way out of date.
The page says you can run it in 32 bit Windows 7  but it does not work
for 64 bit versions of Windows. That is an obvious sign that the product
needs to be updated.  But it could be that there is a competing product
that being actively maintained and that's why megadots is not.