[nfbcs] Math software

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Apr 9 19:24:32 UTC 2013

Currently, there are challenges to be overcome with all approaches to educating blind children, particularly in math.  I, for one,
would not want to discourage you from looking at alternative ways of solving the problem.  On the other hand, if you have the
tallent to come up with a solution, I don't want to see such a tallent wasted, either, if it seems there might be roadblocks that
are hard to circumvent.  My first reaction to what you have written is that this is really a huge project,and I also feel that
expressing the goal is far easier than meeting that goal.  Some of what you are detecting in responses is skepticism that what you are
proposing can be achieved in a way that will be accepted by those who must accept it.  I don't know if you have ever looked at the
Henter Math software, but I thought it did a pretty nice job of letting a blind person interact with a problem in a way that
provided the ability to sort of emulate how the problem was solved on the blackboard.  I'm not saying this software did what you
are trying to do as it is more basic, but my reason for mentioning it is that it only had limited success.  It would probably be worth learning more
about that product, how it was marketed and what successes and failures were experienced.

The problem of converting Nemeth to print and print to Nemeth is also a thorny one.  There is at least one person on this list who
has some experience with converting Nemeth into other mathematical notation, but I will leave it to that person to
choose whether or not to comment.  One would have to consider, with younger children especially, how to translate Nemeth into
print in a relaxed matter that would avoid having a small Nemeth mistake totally mess up the print version.  A mainstream
instructor is not going to be knowledgeable as to how forgetting a dot might have a major impact on backtranslation.

I am having some trouble envisioning how your problem solving logic would work.  if there is more than one way to solve a
given problem and the blind student learns a method that is different than what the class is learning, it may limit his or her
ability to get information from class activities from that point forward.  I've had to deal with this when trying to assist my kids.  I sometimes simply
had to step back from helping them because I knew how to solve the problem but it was so different than how their teacher solved it that teaching it
to them would have added to their confusion.  Is a blind student better off learning to solve a problem in an alternative way
rather than not at all?  Perhaps, but if the situation is that bleak there are probably some larger issues that affect more than
math.

You would also need to make some decisions about platform.  In two years, will kids be primarily using iPads?  Standalone note takers would seem to be the ideal platform in many
ways, but many feel they are on their way out and there are challenges in developing software on those platforms.  What impact does the platform chosen impact the ability to
leverage work that has already been done, particularly in moving between Nemeth and print, and the ability for a sighted instructor to generate Nemeth reliably?

Finally, college math students have taken a number of paths to deal with exchanging math documents with instructors.  However, I don't think the approaches being used are
necessarily approaches that will work for younger children or for those who may be learning math only as a casual requirement.  Still, there is a lot to explore that might give
you ideas upon which to build.  You might try the BlindMath list to get a sense of what is already being done.  Also, someone mentioned the Braille Blaster project, and one of
its components is definitely to allow movement between Nemeth and print, but that is also a large project that is trying to do a lot.

>From my perspective, if you can truly do what you have set out to do in a reasonable amount of time in a way that does not require too much extra work for the mainstream math
instructor, it's probably worth a try.  I'm just a little afraid that you are glossing over some aspects of the problem that will not be so easily solved.  If I had a vote to
determine what you would do, though, my vote would be for you to research what is already underway and see how your tallent could be used to bring some of the current efforts to
fruition sooner.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson