[nfbcs] Information on Ubuntu Orca and Braille support

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Aug 6 14:59:09 UTC 2013

Mike,

Your project is doable! Welcome to the learning curve. /smile/

Starting out with Vinux, as John B. suggests is a good idea, I think.
Since Vinux, like Linux, is free, you can just do that if you want to.
That way you can get used to the differences of linux without having to
do a lot of work just to get up and going with accessibility. I didn't
do that but just dove right in and figured it out as I went along. Which
shows that any fool can learn Linux, I guess. /lol/

To start, here are a couple of links:

https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/

https://wiki.gnome.org/Orca

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I would suggest reviewing/learning the slightly different vocabulary for
Linux first if you need to. I found that little things like "meta key"
through me off, but I hadn't used linux/unix since before the desktop
guis that use that. If you are more up on the lingo than I was, then
you're good. /smile/

As I recall, in the older versions of Ubuntu, the Unity desktop has some
accessibility flaws, or things that can be irritating. You can use the
GNOME desktop in fallback mode, though, which makes life easier. If you
decide to go ahead, write me off list if you need the exact steps how to
do that and I'll dig them out of my so-called brain.

I found that learning a few keystrokes a day and wrangling with the
concepts of linux accessibility worked best for me. I learn best if I
know how a thing works so that I can use it, so that's why I did it that
way. If you do better just learning how to use it, you may not need to
make yourself so crazy. /smile/

The Orca mailing list is a great place to ask questions, and so is the
brltty list. I can give you those if you are interested, too.

LibreOffice/OpenOffice are fairly intuitive if you're used to the MS
Office products.

Tami