[nfbcs] JAWS scripting help requested for Remedy User client.

Darrell Shandrow darrell.shandrow at gmail.com
Thu May 9 23:02:39 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone,

I recently started a new job with a company that uses BMC's Remedy
User software, version 7.6.04, for processing technical support cases.
I have JAWS 14, which I am attempting to script to work with the
Windows client version of Remedy.

When the Remedy application for this company was developed, custom
controls were used, thus making the mid-tier (web-based client) not an
option for my particular setup.

When scripting JAWS, I am noticing a situation where the current
window, as defined by functions like GetCurrentWindow() seems to be
split into at least three separate areas. When I am in one of these
areas, I am unable to access information in other areas, even though
it is visible and I can locate it using the JAWS cursor.

Most of my scripts rely on the FindString() function in conjunction
with GetCurrentWindow() to find information and read it, click
something or take some similar action.

My primary purpose for scripting Remedy is to allow me to assign
keyboard commands to important fields, so I don't have to
inefficiently use tab or shift+tab to navigate the forms.

Does anyone out here have any ideas how I can use FindString() in a
way that gets past this seemingly insurmountable screen boundary, or
any other scripting techniques I may be able to use to get the job
done?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide to point me in
the right direction.

Regards,

Darrell