[nfbcs] Preference in Braille Displays

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 17 17:14:55 UTC 2013

I have 2 braille devices, an Alva and a Braillenote.  The Alva is 40 cells,
and has to be connected to a computer.  I use it constantly for everything I
do with a computer, except playing audio games or listening to internet
radio.  I use my Braillenote exclusively as a stand-alone.  I frequently use
it for reading, and find 18 cells acceptable there, because it has an
auto-scroll mode.  If I had to constantly hit the advance button for a long
period of time, it would be bad, as it would cause my tendonitis to flare
up.
A long time ago, I tried hooking the 18-cell braille display to the
computer, but I did not find it satisfactory.  I use my computer/braille
display a lot for work, and 18 cells was just too short for looking at jobs,
programs, or long strings of data.

So, as with most things, what you want depends on what you want to do with
it.  I like the 18 cell display to carry around with me and take notes or
read, because it's small and light, but I like 40 cells for real work.
HTH.
Tracy