[nfbcs] Antivirus scans

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 03:21:49 UTC 2013

A very important note about anti-virus programs especially and mal-ware
programs too, do not install two or more anti-virus programs at the same
time. Each one's signature file updates will cause the others to show
viruses found and can even cause system crashing conflicts. Always fully
un-install your current anti-virus program before installing another.
Some mal-ware programs may operate the same way. Read all the
documentation on them to find out for sure. Some mal-ware won't cause
problems with anti-virus programs while some will.

As for scans, make sure you have daily updates set and do a daily, or at
the very least, do a weekly scan on your entire file system. At least
once a month, it's a good idea to run a full or deep system scan in Safe
Mode. That's when you restart your computer and press the F8 key
steadily as it starts. This allows you to run the full scan with as few
processes running as possible. Run your anti-virus, mal-ware and any
registry cleaners in safe mode occasionally. And of course, make sure
you have constant-on anti-virus monitoring set if this isn't the default
setting. That means that nearly every file you download as well as
emails are scanned as they come into your computer.

About a Microsoft system that becomes unstable, sometimes the MS updates
create the scrambles. That's the reason I dropped MS XP Pro back in
2007. There wasn't anything mechanically wrong with my computer, but
after certain MS updates it ran slow and programs would freeze. When I'd
restore to before the problem updates or reinstall and skip updates, my
Microsoft ran like a champ, but it's not safe to run MS without all
updates. Because there wasn't anything wrong hardware-wise and since I'd
fought with Microsoft for the entire summer, I was so angry with MS that
I was ready for anything. I finally worked up the nerve to dual boot
Linux of the Ubuntu build. After one month I quit fighting MS all
together and erased it, using Ubuntu only. Last year I switched to the
Linux-Mint build for flexibility. Since 2007 I have had no instabilities
or freeze-ups. That's six years without a problem. Beat that with
Microsoft! My wife was using Vista at that time with an occasional minor
problem, and after watching me run for several months without one
problem, she decided she wanted to try Ubuntu. By April of 2008 she was
ready to have me remove MS from her computer too. So we've had two
computers running Linux for over five and a half years without any
trouble on either one. I'll double the challenge; beat running two
computers trouble-free for well over five years with Microsoft!

No Microsoft garbage used here, sent by a very satisfied Linux-Mint
<http://www.linuxmint.com/> user (a former disgruntled Microsoft user).
You could check out Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired
<http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/>.
This email and any attachments are not virus scanned either, that's up
to you poor Microsoft users to deal with.
I'd rather be a dangerous, wild Linux Penguin than a docile,
domesticated, Microsoft sheep.